Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mac Mackay
Posts: 453
Joined: November 2, 2010, 6:26 am

Re: Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

By coincidence I posted a photo of Wheat King on my blog this week:
http://shipfax.blogspot.com/2012/02/amb ... 2-for.html
LaFlamme
Posts: 3
Joined: June 9, 2011, 3:01 pm

Re: Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Unread post by LaFlamme »

Thank you ChrisW, Cosmic_Charlie, and Leo. You are all very generous, and extremely helpful. I guess I should develop more skills in researching ships and maritime history!

In 1968 I worked on three Upper Lakes shipping ships: R. Bruce Angus (as a deck cadet), M.V. Wheat King, and S.S. Ontario Power. It was a great year, and very exciting for a young man. The Ontario Power tied up early in 1969 for the remainder of the winter, after two unfortunate accidents involving two First Mates. I then went deep sea, but eventually returned to a career on land.

I often wonder what happened to all these great guys I worked with.
Thank you again for your help.
Andre
LeoA

Re: Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Unread post by LeoA »

And here are the remaining photos (Boatnerd's forum has a 5 link limit per post).

One last picture of her as the Wheat King, pre lengthening.


http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/marine/llandaff1b.jpg

These all appear to be after she was lengthened to 730'.

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpicture ... 9-02-j.jpg

http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/mid ... 215385.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xAe-c6tAHG0/T ... 2BKing.jpg
LeoA

Re: Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Unread post by LeoA »

Here are some pictures of her as a saltie when she was sailing as the Llandaff prior to conversion for Great Lakes service.

http://ul.bgsu.edu/vsl/img/00/43/004335a.jpg

http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/marine/llandaff1.jpg

http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/marine/llandaff1c.jpg

Here are is a picture of her as the Wheat King, pre lengthening.

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpicture ... -jh-pg.jpg

http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/marine/llandaff1a.jpg
Cosmic_Charlie
Posts: 280
Joined: April 6, 2011, 8:07 pm

Re: Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Unread post by Cosmic_Charlie »

The middle two photos are as the Wheat King.

http://www.dalnet.lib.mi.us/gsdl/cgi-bi ... b49feb3ce8
ChrisW

Re: Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Unread post by ChrisW »

There are some photos of her in a book about the Seaway. I think it is a Lestrang (sp?) book. Not sure if I could scan that in; but you can find them there. Give me some time to dig up the book and I'll pass that along.
LaFlamme
Posts: 3
Joined: June 9, 2011, 3:01 pm

Photos of M.V. Wheat King

Unread post by LaFlamme »

Greetings to all,
In 1968 I was a deckhand (O.S.) on the M.V. Wheat King, under Captain James Hartford. In the fall of that year I left her to join the S.S. Ontario Power.
I would really appreciate it if someone had pictures of the Wheat king. I am quite sentimental about the old lady, and would love to see her again.
Andre
Post Reply