Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Al

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by Al »

Article in today's Duluth News Tribune about one of the new Algoma boats. The article doesn't include much information but it's linked to a series of nice pix from the BNSF ore dock: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/285949/
yak242
Posts: 24
Joined: July 9, 2010, 1:22 pm

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by yak242 »

1000islander wrote:I would be curious to know if the bridge has adequate heat/ac available? There is a lot of glass up there, the view must be spectacular!
There is a heating unit especially for the wheelhouse on Trilliums that provides ample heat, though it is quite noisy when turned on. Some of us have begun to refer to it as "the monster". Also, all those windows are heated.

BTW, no elevators on Trillium Class ships... we all need the exercise anyway.
1000islander
Posts: 18
Joined: April 20, 2010, 8:31 am

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by 1000islander »

I would be curious to know if the bridge has adequate heat/ac available? There is a lot of glass up there, the view must be spectacular!
Guest

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by Guest »

Algoma Progress has an elevator.
guest

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by guest »

no elevators on the new CSL's
Newfie

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by Newfie »

All the CSL ships with house aft have elevators....Paul Martin, CSL Niagara, CSL Assinobine....etc.
bhale849

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by bhale849 »

The non-Interlake thousand-footers (except maybe the American Spirit, ex-George Stinson, (I've heard Hanna - National Steel boats were always pretty well decked-out.) Pardon the bad pun.

The Interlake thousand-footers, the Paul R. Tregurtha, Mesabi Miner, James R. Barker -- ALL have elevators. I should know, I was on the MV.James R. Barker, and used her elevator plenty of times. I heard the Miner and Tregurtha were similarly equipped.

The other firms weren't as considerate of their crews, or were cheaper on their footers. Heart Attack ships -- twelve decks of Stairs from Engine Room to Pilothouse. Interlake seems to build fancier ships. Thank you Interlake.
beenoner

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by beenoner »

James R. Barker, Mesabi Miner and Paul R. Tregurtha have elevators.
Guest

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by Guest »

The algoma enterprise has an elevator
algowest
Posts: 270
Joined: July 19, 2010, 9:21 pm

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by algowest »

I thought a number of the later Collingwood builds had elevators I believe.
middlerouge
Posts: 420
Joined: July 8, 2013, 8:44 pm

Re: Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by middlerouge »

Guest wrote:I have another question for both the Algoma & CSL new ships. The traditional old builds, without the John D., are mostly two, and sometimes triple-deckers. The triple-deckers may be all gone today. The new builds, in the photo galleries, are as much as six topside decks. Does the crew have only the outside stairways from the top deck to the engineering areas? The stairs look to be the same as in a 10 story building to engineering. I’m thinking the stairs are great exercise for the younger crew and a medical evacuation for the older crew. Are the new builds built with elevators for the crew?
When you say 2deckers and 3deckers, are we going from the spar deck or the foredeck? Your question about the elevators- there is only one that I know of, the Paul r tregurtha being the only one. That's kind of how she originally got the nickname 'fancy delancy'
Guest

Another question for the new CSL & Algoma ships

Unread post by Guest »

I have another question for both the Algoma & CSL new ships. The traditional old builds, without the John D., are mostly two, and sometimes triple-deckers. The triple-deckers may be all gone today. The new builds, in the photo galleries, are as much as six topside decks. Does the crew have only the outside stairways from the top deck to the engineering areas? The stairs look to be the same as in a 10 story building to engineering. I’m thinking the stairs are great exercise for the younger crew and a medical evacuation for the older crew. Are the new builds built with elevators for the crew?
Post Reply