What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

Today's photos show a strong international presence.
Attachments
Saltie Isa (1999) meeting John J. Boland (1973) between Marysville and St. Clair.  Isa's next destination is Montreal but the information for Boland was outdated.
Saltie Isa (1999) meeting John J. Boland (1973) between Marysville and St. Clair. Isa's next destination is Montreal but the information for Boland was outdated.
Spruceglen (1983) down-bound to Montreal.
Spruceglen (1983) down-bound to Montreal.
James R. Barker (1976) is expected back in Superior for another load of coal.
James R. Barker (1976) is expected back in Superior for another load of coal.
A classic freighter, CSL Tadoussac (1969) shows a destination of Picton, Ontario, Canada.
A classic freighter, CSL Tadoussac (1969) shows a destination of Picton, Ontario, Canada.
Bookworm

garbear wrote:Keep the photos coming. They've all been great, Dawn.
Thanks garbear. Can't believe how many ships are moving on the St.Clair River. I've photographed a lot but missed a lot more. Sure do appreciate the various webcams around the GL and tonight the one at TH!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Keep the photos coming. They've all been great, Dawn.
Bookworm

Heavy rains arrived in the night and many vessels made the transit before daylight. However, despite lingering fog and clouds, a variety of ships passed before my camera lens.
Attachments
My first view of Tug Michigan after she passed St. Clair and headed up river.
My first view of Tug Michigan after she passed St. Clair and headed up river.
Tug Michigan and barge Great Lakes pushing their way to Green Bay.
Tug Michigan and barge Great Lakes pushing their way to Green Bay.
Saltie Raba (via Montreal to a European port) passing St. Clair.
Saltie Raba (via Montreal to a European port) passing St. Clair.
Baie Comeau (Toledo) at the Marysville boat launch.
Baie Comeau (Toledo) at the Marysville boat launch.
Recognize yourself crew members?
Recognize yourself crew members?
John J. Boland (Detroit) sails out of Chemical Valley down-bound.
John J. Boland (Detroit) sails out of Chemical Valley down-bound.
Algoma Harvester (Port Cartier) south of Marysville.
Algoma Harvester (Port Cartier) south of Marysville.
Bookworm

A very murky day along the St. Clair River, with periods of light fog and heavy ship traffic. Incidentally, my cat is about to trade me in for a new human -- one that stays home more than an hour at a time, but I've assured him this is a short-term situation and hope that pacifies him.
Attachments
Even though it's well past 8 am, Tecumseh (Thunder Bay) is shrouded by fog and still dark skies.
Even though it's well past 8 am, Tecumseh (Thunder Bay) is shrouded by fog and still dark skies.
Tecumseh and Algoma Discovery meet in Chemical Valley.
Tecumseh and Algoma Discovery meet in Chemical Valley.
Algoma Discovery (Hamilton)
Algoma Discovery (Hamilton)
American Integrity getting a fill up before proceeding to Superior for another load of coal.
American Integrity getting a fill up before proceeding to Superior for another load of coal.
Cadet training vessel Grayfox, sits at her dock, under dense morning skies.
Cadet training vessel Grayfox, sits at her dock, under dense morning skies.
Museum ship Bramble, former USCG vessel, at Port Huron.
Museum ship Bramble, former USCG vessel, at Port Huron.
Flevoborg Will stop at Montreal before embarking on the final leg of her journey to a European port.
Flevoborg Will stop at Montreal before embarking on the final leg of her journey to a European port.
Fleet mate Victoriaborg will also stopover at Montreal before resuming her journey.
Fleet mate Victoriaborg will also stopover at Montreal before resuming her journey.
Tim S. Dool (Sarnia) passing through Chemical Valley.
Tim S. Dool (Sarnia) passing through Chemical Valley.
Indiana Harbor carrying a cargo of coal to the St. Clair RECOR plant.
Indiana Harbor carrying a cargo of coal to the St. Clair RECOR plant.
Cedarglen (Thunder Bay) makes her way up the river at Marysville.
Cedarglen (Thunder Bay) makes her way up the river at Marysville.
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) brings the parade of ships to a close.
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) brings the parade of ships to a close.
Bookworm

Thirteen days until Christmas...nineteen days until 2019...and 33 days until the Soo Locks close, but individual vessels can enter lay-up anytime before that. So, with that in mind, I will try to be at the river as often as my schedule and weather conditions allow. Here's what I have to share with you today.
Attachments
Mesabi Miner (Nanticoke) under early morning skies.
Mesabi Miner (Nanticoke) under early morning skies.
Algoma Equinox (Windsor) south of Marine City.
Algoma Equinox (Windsor) south of Marine City.
Tug Victory and barge James L. Kuber headed to Sault Ste. Marie.
Tug Victory and barge James L. Kuber headed to Sault Ste. Marie.
Algoma Compass (Goderich) at the Marysville boat launch area.
Algoma Compass (Goderich) at the Marysville boat launch area.
After heavy skies all day, clouds broke for awhile as Lee A. Tregurtha (Two Harbors) passed Marysville.
After heavy skies all day, clouds broke for awhile as Lee A. Tregurtha (Two Harbors) passed Marysville.
Tanker Sloman Hermes at the south Sarnia fuel dock.
Tanker Sloman Hermes at the south Sarnia fuel dock.
Tanker Algoma Hansa at the north Sarnia fuel dock.
Tanker Algoma Hansa at the north Sarnia fuel dock.
I almost missed this at Purdy's, across the river.  Note the person in a yellow slicker, on the scaffolding.
I almost missed this at Purdy's, across the river. Note the person in a yellow slicker, on the scaffolding.
Mississagi at Sarnia.
Mississagi at Sarnia.
Bookworm

A good day to stay inside and drink hot cider and munch on cookies, etc. but living within a mile of the St. Clair River, (and relying on AIS to pin-point the action) a few minutes out to photograph ships makes a nice diversion.
Attachments
Kaministiqua (Sorel) passing festive Riverwalk decorations at St. Clair.
Kaministiqua (Sorel) passing festive Riverwalk decorations at St. Clair.
Tanker Iver Bright
Tanker Iver Bright
Tanker Esta Desgagnes
Tanker Esta Desgagnes
Philip R. Clarke (Stoneport) and feathered fans under dreary December skies.
Philip R. Clarke (Stoneport) and feathered fans under dreary December skies.
Work crane, barge, and tugs (with Philip R. Clark in the background) at Marysville.
Work crane, barge, and tugs (with Philip R. Clark in the background) at Marysville.
Bookworm

Has anyone spotted other ships with decorations? So many excellent photographer's with high quality equipment but most post to Facebook and I broke with social media several years ago.
Bookworm

Too dark for photos but just watched Lee A down-bound to AK/Rouge and wearing a halo of colored Christmas lights atop her pilot house. This is the first time I've seen her decorated, but at night she always looks festive.

Unread post by Guest »

Second that Dawn. Love your pics. Wish I was near the water to send some pics as well
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Keep the photos coming Dawn. Really been enjoying them.
Bookworm

We've enjoyed two amazing days of sunshine -- with frigid temperatures -- but clouds, with flurries, returned early this afternoon. In the meantime, I was at the right place at the right time and captured these two extreme opposites, in size and purpose.
Attachments
New to me was the Canadian Coast Guard's Ile Sunt Ours cruising in the direction of Sarnia.
New to me was the Canadian Coast Guard's Ile Sunt Ours cruising in the direction of Sarnia.
Mesabi Miner passes the Marysville boat launch and Coronna's Chemical Valley.
Mesabi Miner passes the Marysville boat launch and Coronna's Chemical Valley.
Bookworm

Guest wrote:Thanks Bookworm. Love the pic of Lee A.
Glad you liked that one. Seeing her always brings a smile to my face -- like seeing a dear friend.
Bookworm

Yesterday, when the temperature reached 60° under sunny skies, I was rehearsing our forthcoming cantata, with the church choir and missed any river traffic. Overnight cold, blustery weather returned but I couldn't let these two pass without capturing them.
Attachments
Michipicoten, another classic beauty, with a destination of the Soo.
Michipicoten, another classic beauty, with a destination of the Soo.
The St. Clair boardwalk and park are festively decorated for the Holiday Season, adding a colorful accent for Ms. Barker, down-bound to AK/Rouge.
The St. Clair boardwalk and park are festively decorated for the Holiday Season, adding a colorful accent for Ms. Barker, down-bound to AK/Rouge.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks Bookworm. Love the pic of Lee A.
Bookworm

An otherwise dismal Tuesday afternoon saw a parade of up-bounders on the St. Clair River, but the blustery wind made for a finger-numbing experience.
Attachments
Saltie Beatrix pushing a nice bow wake on her way to Chicago.
Saltie Beatrix pushing a nice bow wake on her way to Chicago.
To give you an idea of the ferocity of the wind, look at Lee A. Tregurtha's flattened plume. She's returning to Marquette.
To give you an idea of the ferocity of the wind, look at Lee A. Tregurtha's flattened plume. She's returning to Marquette.
Polsteam's Narew (Superior) has a long trip ahead.
Polsteam's Narew (Superior) has a long trip ahead.
Capt. Henry Jackman headed to Goderich.
Capt. Henry Jackman headed to Goderich.
Herbert C. Jackson (Stoneport) passing one of the Canadian refineries.
Herbert C. Jackson (Stoneport) passing one of the Canadian refineries.
Bookworm

Guest wrote:Keep those pics coming please. Really enjoy them. I do however miss your postings from the Oscoda area.
Thanks, but beng so far from visible ship traffic really got to me. It was over an hour to Stoneport and another 30 or so minutes up to Calcite so gas prices and weather conditions determined when I could make a trip to either facility. The gypsum dock (Tawas) was much closer but ships in port were sporadic. I love where I am and the variety and flow of ship traffic to photograph.

Unread post by Guest »

Keep those pics coming please. Really enjoy them. I do however miss your postings from the Oscoda area.
Bookworm

Out before the sun came up -- meaning I could only watch two up-bound ships simply because there wasn't suitable light for photographing. The overnight clouds scattered for awhile and these two passed my vantage point.
Attachments
Lee A. Tregurtha meets the rising as she carries iron ore on an infrequent trip to Cleveland.
Lee A. Tregurtha meets the rising as she carries iron ore on an infrequent trip to Cleveland.
Indiana Harbor (Two Harbors) up-bound above the River Crab.
Indiana Harbor (Two Harbors) up-bound above the River Crab.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

I second the sentiment on the Sykes pic! The LAT is equally beautiful! Cheers P