What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Denny »

Great photos and nice job with them as always Bookworm as you took some very nice shots on your visit to Alpena. I especially like the one of the covered bridge and the Thunder Bay River photo, I really enjoy the clouds in that photo. The one of the butterfly is beautiful and nicely done as you captured a perfect photo. Perhaps you may want to think about sending some of your best photos to certain magazines and even newspapers as they might be interested in them. Sometimes they even have contests and awards for best photos. I’ve tried sending some of mine to Interlake but, they were never used in any publications or calendars which is a shame! I’ve taken digitals now since 2006 and only once have I had my photos in Know Your Ships but I don’t send them to Roger much. Keep on shooting those great photos and posting them so we can all see them. Thanks Bookworm and Great Job again on them!
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

This afternoon I was finally going to go on the Alpena Shipwreck Tour/Thunder Bay National Shipwreck Sanctuary glass-bottom boat, so stopped at the museum for a ticket, when I arrived in town. The morning cruise had gotten underway but, shortly after, rising winds resulted in a Small Craft Advisory being issued and the boat returned. Needless to say, it was disappointing for the passengers, but they got refunds. I was so relieved to have learned early-on that the day's cruises were cancelled, and looked elsewhere to make the best of the time and otherwise good weather.
Attachments
Glass-bottom boat back at its dock by the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center.
Glass-bottom boat back at its dock by the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center.
Attractive replica covered bridge for foot traffic in park on US #23, across from the Mid-Michigan Medical Center.  Access by turning left at the traffic light.  Look for a narrow drive on the left, a short way down Long Rapids Road.
Attractive replica covered bridge for foot traffic in park on US #23, across from the Mid-Michigan Medical Center. Access by turning left at the traffic light. Look for a narrow drive on the left, a short way down Long Rapids Road.
Thunder Bay River meandering through the park.
Thunder Bay River meandering through the park.
This metal sculpture fascinates me each time I pass it but, until today, I had not been able to find the park access drive.
This metal sculpture fascinates me each time I pass it but, until today, I had not been able to find the park access drive.
2018-07-17e Monarch on milkweed.jpg
Bookworm

On a beautiful -- and much cooler day -- it didn't take long for me to find two good reasons to run away from home for a few hours!
Attachments
John G. Munson under the loader at Stoneport.  According to Harbor Lookout, this load will go to Duluth.
John G. Munson under the loader at Stoneport. According to Harbor Lookout, this load will go to Duluth.
Herbert C. Jackson approaching the Stoneport anchorage.
Herbert C. Jackson approaching the Stoneport anchorage.
At anchor, waiting for Munson to finish the loading process.  Jackson's destination is also showing to be Duluth.
At anchor, waiting for Munson to finish the loading process. Jackson's destination is also showing to be Duluth.
Bookworm

04:45...clear, starry sky with full moon overhead...from 2 miles inland, I'm startled to hear a fog horn sounding at appropriate intervals... checking AIS, I see its Dorothy Ann, heading back up the lake to Calcite!
Bookworm

Lee A was expected at Stoneport mid afternoon, so I headed up to catch her coming in. When I turned onto US #23, fog became my constant companion until Alpena. From there to Stoneport I enjoyed fair skies. However, a blanket of fog hovered above the lake at Stoneport, then quickly moved in to cover the facility and loading dock. A deep fog horn blasted out in the shipping lane, and Lee A's horn sounded at intervals, as she approached. Skies were blue overhead, but the surface fog was thick and despite peering intently into it I never made out a single one of her features so I listened to her engines, thruster, and other sounds associated with docking. All the while I could hear the down-bound ship (Munson from Calcite?) sounding her fog horn until she was out of range. At one point a military jet, invisible in the fog, screamed overhead and sounded so close I had to wonder if it was crashing. I waited maybe an hour and just as I was about to get into my car and start for home, I noticed something breaking through the fog and snapped the last two pictures – which I think are really pretty cool!
Attachments
It looked fairly promising when I arrived but that all changed within 15 minutes.
It looked fairly promising when I arrived but that all changed within 15 minutes.
2018-06-27b LAT boom.jpg
2018-06-27c LAT sternworks.jpg
Bookworm

The call of the St. Clair River with plenty of ship traffic showing on AIS, had me packing my bags for a 2-day stay. There were a few disappointments due to low light when the ships passed -- in particular Algoma Sault, a new sighting for me who passed in pre-dawn light, and the one I had a mental plan to capture coming under the Bluewater Bridges with a gorgeous pre-sunset sky, but which arrived on scene well after dark. Still, I have some splendid captures to remember the adventure.
Attachments
Cason J. Callaway nearly got past me as I was unpacking my car at the motel.
Cason J. Callaway nearly got past me as I was unpacking my car at the motel.
American Spirit, up-bound in the late afternoon.
American Spirit, up-bound in the late afternoon.
Tecumseh following a few minutes later.
Tecumseh following a few minutes later.
Tanker Fairchem Colt at a Sarnia area fuel dock.
Tanker Fairchem Colt at a Sarnia area fuel dock.
Algoma Hansa at another one of the Canadian fuel docks.
Algoma Hansa at another one of the Canadian fuel docks.
American Integrity pushing water as she passes Marysville.
American Integrity pushing water as she passes Marysville.
Before heading to a Lake Superior port, American Integrity stopped for fuel at Sarnia.
Before heading to a Lake Superior port, American Integrity stopped for fuel at Sarnia.
Always a delight to watch.
Always a delight to watch.
A familiar sight on the Great Lakes.
A familiar sight on the Great Lakes.
Here she comes! This was my first sighting of the Algoma Niagara.
Here she comes! This was my first sighting of the Algoma Niagara.
And there she goes!
And there she goes!
Packed with a lively group of partiers!
Packed with a lively group of partiers!
Thanks for the salute!
Thanks for the salute!
After discharging taconite at AK-Rouge, Lee A headed to Stoneport, where I caught up with her on my trip home.
After discharging taconite at AK-Rouge, Lee A headed to Stoneport, where I caught up with her on my trip home.
Bookworm

On a nearly perfect afternoon, John J. Boland was down-bound (between Greenbush and Oscoda) to Bay City, with a cargo of stone.
Attachments
2018-06-11 JJBoland.jpg
Bookworm

Finally loaded at Stoneport, Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder was down-bound on Lake Huron between Harrisville and Greenbush this evening, close enough to capture these shots.
Attachments
Moving gracefully along the horizon.
Moving gracefully along the horizon.
Illuminated by the lowering sun.
Illuminated by the lowering sun.
Bookworm

Update to my previous post: Lee A Tregurtha didn't stop at Stoneport for long and is currently (06/07/2018 20:15) up-bound in the St. Mary's River.
Bookworm

A busy, "Take a number, you're next in line" day at Stoneport (formerly Presque Isle).
Attachments
Stone pouring into Olive L. Moore's holds as she sits at the Stoneport dock.
Stone pouring into Olive L. Moore's holds as she sits at the Stoneport dock.
Tug/Barge Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder waiting her turn at the dock.
Tug/Barge Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder waiting her turn at the dock.
Lee A Tregurtha arriving to find the dock occupied and her fleet-mate at anchor.
Lee A Tregurtha arriving to find the dock occupied and her fleet-mate at anchor.
Lee A Tregurtha crossing the bow of fleet-mate Dorothy Ann.
Lee A Tregurtha crossing the bow of fleet-mate Dorothy Ann.
Bookworm

Earlier in the week, I spotted a tall ship at the Tawas Marina, and this afternoon watched Herbert C. Jackson up-bound to Stoneport.
Attachments
2018-05-14 Tall Ship.jpg
2018-05-20 HCJ.jpg
Bookworm

Today I took my own advice and embarked on a 1-day vacation, from home to Cheboygan and back . A bit cool to start, but it turned out to be a lovely day in every way. I've been having computer issues and totally forgot to charge the camera battery. After the first 5 (and there were a total of 25) it warned me the battery needed to be changed and sometimes even shut down temporarily, but always responded after a minute or so. However, it would not, under any circumstances allow me to use the zoom for the last two shots. Sorry!
Attachments
Along US #23, near Greenbush, MI.
Along US #23, near Greenbush, MI.
Thunder Bay, Alpena, MI.
Thunder Bay, Alpena, MI.
Approaching Stoneport.  Her engines announced her coming long before she was in sight.
Approaching Stoneport. Her engines announced her coming long before she was in sight.
Let the loading begin!
Let the loading begin!
So many of the lighthouses have schools on the property.  Don't know whether that is their original location or if they were moved to attract more visitors.
So many of the lighthouses have schools on the property. Don't know whether that is their original location or if they were moved to attract more visitors.
Looks like there has been a lot of TLC invested into keeping this lighthouse looking so good.
Looks like there has been a lot of TLC invested into keeping this lighthouse looking so good.
I got there before they opened for the day.  The Calcite pilot house had a "Closed" sign on it and several items in the outdoor display were still covered.
I got there before they opened for the day. The Calcite pilot house had a "Closed" sign on it and several items in the outdoor display were still covered.
A short walk down the beach from the lighthouse.
A short walk down the beach from the lighthouse.
I photographed the shipwreck skeleton in 2007...
I photographed the shipwreck skeleton in 2007...
and this is how it look today, nearly covered in sand!
and this is how it look today, nearly covered in sand!
Bunk house at 40-Mile Point Lighthouse
Bunk house at 40-Mile Point Lighthouse
Destination Ashtabula. Taken from a scenic overlook on US #23.  At the Cheboygan City Park, you can see the Mack Bridge and Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island -- at a distance!
Destination Ashtabula. Taken from a scenic overlook on US #23. At the Cheboygan City Park, you can see the Mack Bridge and Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island -- at a distance!
The Cheboygan River Front Range Light went into operation in 1880.
The Cheboygan River Front Range Light went into operation in 1880.
Range light tower
Range light tower
At Cheboygan
At Cheboygan
At Cheboygan
At Cheboygan
Olive Moore headed to Calcite
Olive Moore headed to Calcite
Clyde VanEnkevort leaving Calcite with a cargo for Duluth.  The public access road was closed, and this was the closest I could get.
Clyde VanEnkevort leaving Calcite with a cargo for Duluth. The public access road was closed, and this was the closest I could get.
Bookworm

Tug Madison R and barge at the East Tawas (MI) Marina this rainy morning.
Attachments
2018-05-03 Madison R..jpg

Unread post by Guest »

Bookworm wrote:Another day, another adventure! The sun was shining brightly, winds were calm, and the temperature was 29°(F) when I left home this morning and headed to Stoneport. Can't recall ever seeing three ships there at one time so it was too good an opportunity pass up.
Kaye E. Barker was at the dock, while fleet-mate Herbert C. Jackson and the new Algoma Innovator waited their turns in the anchorage. When I got home five hours later (I extended my adventure to back country roads), the temperature was already in the low 60°s, but winds were on the rise. Although there was no ice at Stoneport, and low-lying areas were flooded with standing water, Long Lake still wore a blanket of deteriorating ice.
The day ended with H. Lee White down-bound from Calcite to Bay City -- and visible from shore!
Attachments
2018-04-30f HLW.jpg
Bookworm

Another day, another adventure! The sun was shining brightly, winds were calm, and the temperature was 29°(F) when I left home this morning and headed to Stoneport. Can't recall ever seeing three ships there at one time so it was too good an opportunity pass up.
Kaye E. Barker was at the dock, while fleet-mate Herbert C. Jackson and the new Algoma Innovator waited their turns in the anchorage. When I got home five hours later (I extended my adventure to back country roads), the temperature was already in the low 60°s, but winds were on the rise. Although there was no ice at Stoneport, and low-lying areas were flooded with standing water, Long Lake still wore a blanket of deteriorating ice.
Attachments
2018-04-30a Morning Calm.jpg
2018-04-30b KEB.jpg
2018-04-30c KEB & HCJ.jpg
2018-04-30d AlgoInnov.jpg
2018-04-30e Long Lake.jpg
Bookworm

A full moon reflecting on the water and wood smoke in the air made it a perfect night for watching the lighted form of John J. Boland, down-bound from Green Bay to Bay City. It was my first sighting from shore since the 2018-19 shipping season began.
Bookworm

The past two days were incredible for me! I've not been back to the St. Clair River since before lay-up, mostly because every time I planned to go, inclement weather got in the way.
Quite early Wednesday morning, the forecast looked good enough that I packed clothes for every conceivable season, a small cooler and backpack, and headed south. Skies were cloudy when I left but within 20 minutes there was light snow which changed to rain, and then all precipitation ceased before I got to Saginaw. Soon after my arrival at Port Huron, skies cleared. The entire time I was there it rained in the night or early morning and then cleared. Yesterday, it got up to 70°. Today I left P.H. with a temperature in the high 40°s and as I traveled north, it dropped into the 30°s. I left clear skies behind, and at Alabaster got into rain, snow, thunder snow, sleet, and who knows what else!
Anyway, it was so relaxing to sit by Lake Huron (I can't explain it but Lake Huron down there and Lake Huron up here are not anything alike. Maybe it has to do with no ships being within decent camera range!) There were several ships in the anchorage--tankers waiting their turn at the Sarnia Fuel Dock(s) but the highlight of my trip was the virtual parade of ships I photographed.
Attachments
The newly rename Algoma Buffalo has the Algoma bear on her stack, too.
The newly rename Algoma Buffalo has the Algoma bear on her stack, too.
Cuyahoga at the aggregates dock, in Sarnia.
Cuyahoga at the aggregates dock, in Sarnia.
Algonova at the Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Algonova at the Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tug Dylan Cooper and barge RTC-108 joined other waiting vessels in the Sarnia anchorage.
Tug Dylan Cooper and barge RTC-108 joined other waiting vessels in the Sarnia anchorage.
Captain Henry Jackman moving through the gathering darkness to Hamilton.
Captain Henry Jackman moving through the gathering darkness to Hamilton.
This was my first time to see the saltie, Argentia Desgagnes. It appears her destination is the Netherlands.
This was my first time to see the saltie, Argentia Desgagnes. It appears her destination is the Netherlands.
The shades of night were closing as Radcliffe R. Latimer passed, destined for Halifax.
The shades of night were closing as Radcliffe R. Latimer passed, destined for Halifax.
Thompson, expected at the Drummond Island dock, brought a drenching rain, which soon ended.
Thompson, expected at the Drummond Island dock, brought a drenching rain, which soon ended.
Manitoulin with cargo for Buffalo, NY.
Manitoulin with cargo for Buffalo, NY.
Thunder Bay bucking head winds on her way to Nanticoke.
Thunder Bay bucking head winds on her way to Nanticoke.
Maria Desgagnes at the Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Maria Desgagnes at the Sarnia Fuel Dock.
John J. Carrick, also at the Sarnia Fuel Dock.
John J. Carrick, also at the Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tug Manitou sits at her dock awaiting the next job.
Tug Manitou sits at her dock awaiting the next job.
Burns Harbor is the next port of call for Algoma Transport.
Burns Harbor is the next port of call for Algoma Transport.
Despite constant, brisk winds, this was a nearly perfect, peaceful, and relaxing place to be after the long winter siege.  (Taken at 16:05)
Despite constant, brisk winds, this was a nearly perfect, peaceful, and relaxing place to be after the long winter siege. (Taken at 16:05)
Definitely not nautical, but so fascinating. I wonder if it had toppled into the lake during a storm and traveled down until it was spotted and removed to the beach were I was.
Definitely not nautical, but so fascinating. I wonder if it had toppled into the lake during a storm and traveled down until it was spotted and removed to the beach were I was.
By the time Lee A. Tregurtha came off Lake Huron (17:28) sporting her fresh coat of paint and loaded for the Rouge, blue skies had been replaced with a thick, gray blanket of clouds.
By the time Lee A. Tregurtha came off Lake Huron (17:28) sporting her fresh coat of paint and loaded for the Rouge, blue skies had been replaced with a thick, gray blanket of clouds.
Saltie Isolda up-bound to Burns Harbor.
Saltie Isolda up-bound to Burns Harbor.
USCG Hollyhock was working her way up the river in late afternoon.
USCG Hollyhock was working her way up the river in late afternoon.
Skies were clearing when Kaye E. Barker surprised me at Marysville. Destination Marquette.
Skies were clearing when Kaye E. Barker surprised me at Marysville. Destination Marquette.
Bookworm

The wind, rain, and gloom passed. At first light, big moon was skimming toward the western horizon and gulls were circling near the shoreline as I snapped the beauty of this Easter Morning pre-sunrise.
Attachments
Easter Blessings to you!
Easter Blessings to you!
Bookworm

This is the last sunny day (with temps in the 40°s) before predicted rain moves in overnight, so took a short trip to the Tawas Point Lighthouse. No activity around the East Tawas Marina.
Attachments
Tawas Light House (View #1)
Tawas Light House (View #1)
Tawas Light House (View #2)
Tawas Light House (View #2)
Could not believe my eyes!  Two "wind boarders" (according to the window cling on their pick-up) were out having the time of their life, despite a very low wind chill! Only one was close enough to photograph.
Could not believe my eyes! Two "wind boarders" (according to the window cling on their pick-up) were out having the time of their life, despite a very low wind chill! Only one was close enough to photograph.
c ships

Unread post by c ships »

Nice pics , nasty weather comes and goes. THANK YOU! for sharing. Like to get to Vantage Point this year. We lost a lot folks I'd would have like to have met. need 2 go ! August I hope this time.