What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

This morning Marine Traffic shows Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder (in the Amherstburg
channel) enroute from Marblehead to Marin, Spain! I interpret her destination to be Marine City.
Bookworm

P.S. Saginaw unloaded and was headed past Marysville for Sarnia at 3:30. Here's the bow-on shot I'd been hoping for.
Attachments
2018-12-30c Saginaw.jpg
Bookworm

If you've followed this thread for long, you know I go wherever there's a ship to "shoot" the entire length of the St. Clair River but, when Saginaw left Marblehead yesterday, Marine Traffic gave her destination as Sobra, a port in Croatia (Hungary)! That presented a real challenge to me. Apparently, Sombra, Ontario, Canada is not a registered port, so possibly thinking the information provided was a typo, MT made that "correction." Picture Saginaw out on the Atlantic Ocean!
Attachments
Saginaw entering the Sombra facility with aggregate loaded at Marblehead.
Saginaw entering the Sombra facility with aggregate loaded at Marblehead.
Showing remnants of her icy Lake Superior crossing, American Century was down-bound under sunny skies with coal for the RECOR/St. Clair Power Plant.
Showing remnants of her icy Lake Superior crossing, American Century was down-bound under sunny skies with coal for the RECOR/St. Clair Power Plant.
Bookworm

One-by-one, I'm cutting the list of ships I hope to photograph before they're all in lay-up. Currently, Saginaw tops that list, followed by the Hon. James L. Oberstar, Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder, and the two VanEnkevort tug/barges. With shortened daylight hours, inevitably they make dark hour passages. Today I was delighted to see H. Lee White and Algoma Buffalo finally make daylight trips on the St. Clair River.
Attachments
H. Lee White moving through snow showers to Cleveland.
H. Lee White moving through snow showers to Cleveland.
Tug Manitou, with flag flying, at her dock above Marysville.
Tug Manitou, with flag flying, at her dock above Marysville.
Iver Bright (a trending topic on the Boatnerd Information News Page) at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Iver Bright (a trending topic on the Boatnerd Information News Page) at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Tim S. Dool (Superior) slowly passing Marysville.
Tim S. Dool (Superior) slowly passing Marysville.
Bow-on view of Algoma Buffalo.
Bow-on view of Algoma Buffalo.
Algoma Buffalo (Hamilton) at St. Clair.
Algoma Buffalo (Hamilton) at St. Clair.
The water surface was incredibly calm and reflective as Lee A. Tregurtha (Two Harbors) made her way up river at Marine <br />City.
The water surface was incredibly calm and reflective as Lee A. Tregurtha (Two Harbors) made her way up river at Marine
City.
Bookworm

Believe it or not, after a siege of wind-driven rain and temperatures in the 30s for days, around 3 pm (EST) it was 54-degrees along the St. Clair River! I'm posting ship traffic from yesterday and today.
Attachments
Algoma Strongfield (Thunder Bay) pushing against the agitated river.
Algoma Strongfield (Thunder Bay) pushing against the agitated river.
Stern to bow view.
Stern to bow view.
Tug/barge Thompson &amp; Thompson (Toledo) at St. Clair.
Tug/barge Thompson & Thompson (Toledo) at St. Clair.
Tug Joseph H. Thompson, Jr.
Tug Joseph H. Thompson, Jr.
Algoscotia nudging into the Sarnia (south) fuel dock
Algoscotia nudging into the Sarnia (south) fuel dock
Algosea at the Sarnia (north) fuel dock.
Algosea at the Sarnia (north) fuel dock.
Algoma Hansa up-bound to Sarnia.
Algoma Hansa up-bound to Sarnia.
Algoma Hansa passing Sarnia (south) fuel dock after Algoscotia is tied up.
Algoma Hansa passing Sarnia (south) fuel dock after Algoscotia is tied up.
Looks like Ojibway (Thunder Bay)  brought clearing skies and sunshine with her.
Looks like Ojibway (Thunder Bay) brought clearing skies and sunshine with her.
Bookworm

Guest wrote:Hello Bookworm. In reference to your Clary prints, you may know the V. W. Scully (depending upon when you became interested in Great Lakes ships) better as the Algosound that went to Turkey for scrapping in 2004. As for the J. Burton Ayers, it sails today as the Cuyahoga. In my opinion, that series of pen and ink drawings Clary made during the 1980s time period are among his best works.

In addition, I would also like to thank you for your consistent postings of ship photos over the years. Having moved away from the Blue Water Area several years ago, your photos have kept me in touch with my former stomping grounds.
My interest in ships started in 2004 and, thanks to Boatnerds like you sharing facts and information, it has been a real education.

Unread post by Guest »

Hello Bookworm. In reference to your Clary prints, you may know the V. W. Scully (depending upon when you became interested in Great Lakes ships) better as the Algosound that went to Turkey for scrapping in 2004. As for the J. Burton Ayers, it sails today as the Cuyahoga. In my opinion, that series of pen and ink drawings Clary made during the 1980s time period are among his best works.

In addition, I would also like to thank you for your consistent postings of ship photos over the years. Having moved away from the Blue Water Area several years ago, your photos have kept me in touch with my former stomping grounds.
Bookworm

The day after Christmas. Promised partly cloudy never came and only a few boats made a daytime transit. A most unexpected Christmas present came from a dear friend who had to accept that her days of true independent living are in the past and has moved to a care facility. She lived in St. Clair and knew the late artist Jim Clary. The gift, prints of J. Burton Ayres and V. W. Scully (names of boats I never knew) are a treasure because of her.
Attachments
Tug Spartan and barge Spartan II with a destination of Ludington.
Tug Spartan and barge Spartan II with a destination of Ludington.
Edgar B. Speer at Marysville.
Edgar B. Speer at Marysville.
Two Harbors must seem a long way off!
Two Harbors must seem a long way off!
Bookworm

Layer on layer of cloud cover must have reached to the stratosphere and made the day look and feel so dismal. Don't be fooled by the brightness of the photos -- be glad for photo editing programs. I sure am!
Attachments
Early morning found Radcliffe R. Latimer on a run to Goderich.
Early morning found Radcliffe R. Latimer on a run to Goderich.
Thunder Bay (Superior) pushing a nice wake.
Thunder Bay (Superior) pushing a nice wake.
Look for the G3 Marquis at Two Harbors in the next couple of days.
Look for the G3 Marquis at Two Harbors in the next couple of days.
Little Sharon M pulling the mighty Huron Spirit to the Soo.
Little Sharon M pulling the mighty Huron Spirit to the Soo.
CSL Welland (Baie Comeau) adds a bit of color to the grayness.
CSL Welland (Baie Comeau) adds a bit of color to the grayness.
Thousand footer tug/barge Presque Isle (Zug) passing St. Clair.
Thousand footer tug/barge Presque Isle (Zug) passing St. Clair.
A view of the receding tug.
A view of the receding tug.
Bookworm

mopar tim wrote:You are the most hardcore boat photographer in this area. I won't venture out in this weather. Cudo's Bookworm and Happy Holidays.
It's a gift I enjoy and love to share. I can't forget how essential the ship photos of others have been to me when I lived hours/light years away from the St. Clair River. Christmas Blessings to you and all of my followers.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Love that Manitowoc photo. She's showing up on the HarborLookout schedule to load pellets here in Duluth. Plus the Sykes due to load in Two Harbors and the Great Republic currently loading there. A lot of boats off their usual trade routes.
Happy Holidays, Dawn.
Gary
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

You are the most hardcore boat photographer in this area. I won't venture out in this weather. Cudo's Bookworm and Happy Holidays.
Bookworm

And now for today's sightings...
Attachments
Manitowoc discharging cargo at Blue Water Aggregates in Marysville -- a challenging location for the photographer.
Manitowoc discharging cargo at Blue Water Aggregates in Marysville -- a challenging location for the photographer.
Huron Lightship history.
Huron Lightship history.
Huron Lightship Museum (Port Huron) decorated for the holidays.
Huron Lightship Museum (Port Huron) decorated for the holidays.
Walter J. McCarthy, Jr. (St. Clair/RECOR) entering the St. Clair River from Lake Huron.
Walter J. McCarthy, Jr. (St. Clair/RECOR) entering the St. Clair River from Lake Huron.
Tug Albert with fuel barge Margaret at the south Sarnia fuel dock.  Marine traffic icon shows Albert but their vessel details gives Craig Eric Reinauer (1979) as the official name.
Tug Albert with fuel barge Margaret at the south Sarnia fuel dock. Marine traffic icon shows Albert but their vessel details gives Craig Eric Reinauer (1979) as the official name.
Although I never really thought about it before, this shot of Herbert C. Jackson (AK/Rouge) makes me think of a linebacker! Linebacker is defined as &quot;...large and strong,&quot; which seems appropriate!
Although I never really thought about it before, this shot of Herbert C. Jackson (AK/Rouge) makes me think of a linebacker! Linebacker is defined as "...large and strong," which seems appropriate!
Bookworm

Better late than never.
With the closing of the Soo Locks looming, ships seem to become fewer -- or at least those passing in the daylight hours.
So what do I do waiting along the river between ships? I'm including some nature photos as well. Enjoy!
Attachments
December 21st. is the official First Day of Winter but no one told this brave dandelion.
December 21st. is the official First Day of Winter but no one told this brave dandelion.
First up in early morning light was &quot;Ms. B.&quot; (still not showing an updated destination).
First up in early morning light was "Ms. B." (still not showing an updated destination).
Grand Lady of the Lake, Alpena (Green Bay).
Grand Lady of the Lake, Alpena (Green Bay).
CCG Risley on Maneuvers in the St. Clair River.
CCG Risley on Maneuvers in the St. Clair River.
Saltie Mottler (Italy) at Algonac State Park.  The ships in this fleet usually carry the name of a species of waterfowl but I can't find any with this name.
Saltie Mottler (Italy) at Algonac State Park. The ships in this fleet usually carry the name of a species of waterfowl but I can't find any with this name.
Karen Andrie (Indiana Harbor) pushing barge Endeavor.  Note the undulating water as it passes from bow to stern.
Karen Andrie (Indiana Harbor) pushing barge Endeavor. Note the undulating water as it passes from bow to stern.
Like a gigantic Christmas ornament, this hive, high in the branches of a tree, caught my attention.
Like a gigantic Christmas ornament, this hive, high in the branches of a tree, caught my attention.
Down on the ground, an open hive exposes the intricate design of the cells.
Down on the ground, an open hive exposes the intricate design of the cells.
Milkweed seeds still safe within the unopened pod.
Milkweed seeds still safe within the unopened pod.
Milkweed seeds on silky parachutes ready to take off in the next wind.
Milkweed seeds on silky parachutes ready to take off in the next wind.
Bookworm

Today was sunny and warmer (44 F degrees) than earlier this week. In fact, one young man was so excited he entertained onlookers with his wind surfing! Trying to avoid multiple postings of the same ships now, and only these two -- which I followed overnight on AIS -- had not been photographed at all or in the past.
Attachments
Algoma Niagara above the Marysville boat launch.  Destination information remains outdated, but currently her track is toward Goderich.
Algoma Niagara above the Marysville boat launch. Destination information remains outdated, but currently her track is toward Goderich.
Followed Federal Caribou (Montreal) on <br />AIS as she was up-bound on Lake Michigan last night and throughout the day.  I can't explain it but she's a very impressive saltie.
Followed Federal Caribou (Montreal) on
AIS as she was up-bound on Lake Michigan last night and throughout the day. I can't explain it but she's a very impressive saltie.
Bookworm

Somehow I missed including these three in the post below.
Attachments
Olive Moore (Alpena) with Stag Island in the background.
Olive Moore (Alpena) with Stag Island in the background.
CSL Laurentien (Quebec) passes south of Marysville.
CSL Laurentien (Quebec) passes south of Marysville.
Victory (Sault Ste. Marie) skims over the stunning blue waters of the St. Clair River.
Victory (Sault Ste. Marie) skims over the stunning blue waters of the St. Clair River.
Bookworm

Very busy day on the St. Clair River!
Attachments
American Integrity (St. Clair/RECOR) started the day as sun slowly replaced a cloudy sky.
American Integrity (St. Clair/RECOR) started the day as sun slowly replaced a cloudy sky.
Tanker Bro Agnes at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Tanker Bro Agnes at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Federal Rhine, like all other salties, will stop over at Montreal before embarking on the last leg of her journey -- likely to a European port.
Federal Rhine, like all other salties, will stop over at Montreal before embarking on the last leg of her journey -- likely to a European port.
Tug Ostrander and barge Integrity were on the wrong lake if the destination of Milwaukee was correct!  AIS shows them moored in Detroit.
Tug Ostrander and barge Integrity were on the wrong lake if the destination of Milwaukee was correct! AIS shows them moored in Detroit.
Algoma Transport (Thunder Bay) passing the River Crab.
Algoma Transport (Thunder Bay) passing the River Crab.
Late afternoon found the tanker Arsland moving to its destination of Montreal.
Late afternoon found the tanker Arsland moving to its destination of Montreal.
Frontenac (Thunder Bay) reflecting the glow of the setting sun.
Frontenac (Thunder Bay) reflecting the glow of the setting sun.
Bookworm

Enjoy!
Attachments
Herbert C. Jackson (AK/Rouge) came off Lake Huron just after the skies lightened this morning.
Herbert C. Jackson (AK/Rouge) came off Lake Huron just after the skies lightened this morning.
Algoma Innovator (Goderich) with the wide curve of the St. Clair River behind and Chemical Valley ahead.
Algoma Innovator (Goderich) with the wide curve of the St. Clair River behind and Chemical Valley ahead.
Whitefish Bay (Quebec) at St. Clair.
Whitefish Bay (Quebec) at St. Clair.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Glad you got a shot of the Sykes.
Bookworm

Sunny skies and as much excitement as one could hope for in 10 minutes!
Attachments
USCG Hollyhock and crew enjoying calm waters and temperatures in the 40s on a clear, December day.
USCG Hollyhock and crew enjoying calm waters and temperatures in the 40s on a clear, December day.
I could hear her coming by the salutes she gave as she passed the various vantage points and photographers in Marine City.
I could hear her coming by the salutes she gave as she passed the various vantage points and photographers in Marine City.
Aggregate pyramids -- brought by a number of GL freighters and tug/barges -- to a facility south of Marine City.
Aggregate pyramids -- brought by a number of GL freighters and tug/barges -- to a facility south of Marine City.