Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thank you so very much Bookworm for those beautiful along with caring and thoughtful words as they are beautiful and most certainly appreciate them. You are correct about the power of prayer as I have been saying plenty of them and thanking our lord along with our Heavenly Father for all his blessings upon my family and I along with my Mother as well. I've prayed for her and to be at Peace along with comfort as she one day makes her journey home and to be reunited someday with my Father in Heaven. Yes you are indeed correct as I know both my Mother and Father loved me dearly and were always happy and proud of me as I mentioned before, they would have been very proud and happy of my big day on the river this week and those along with many other memories I will always cherish especially the times that my Mom and I spent together and the talks along with the conversations that we had. I will always carry the memories of both my parents and as they say, "Memories can never be taken away no matter what!" I also remember my once good and dear friend once Dick McNeil told me after my Dad's passing that I think it went like someday the pain will go away of losing someone so close and dear though you have an emptiness I think in your heart or something to that effect if you know what I mean. Today as you might expect what a hard day for me and fortunately I got a call from a close friend of mind that I last seen in 2010! The point is, I just needed that time and moment to talk to somebody and so glad and thankful he called and we had a nice long talk as well. After that I felt much better from then on. To close, I once heard this said on a TV series and show once about a lady who died. She had written a poem to be said at her funeral and it went something like this, "Remember me with smiles and laughter for that is how I will remember you all and if you can only remember me with tears then do not remember me then at all!" This poem is really amazing when you see and hear it said someday as it came from Little House on the Prairie in the episode Remember Me which starred Patricia O'Neal I think was her name. That TV series btw was always good and my Mom and I enjoyed watching them. Thanks again Bookworm and God Bless you as well as both you and your son Mike are in my thoughts and prayers. I even stopped by our dear friend Lady Pirate's bench at the river on Tuesday and I talked to her for a few minutes. Sure do miss her and she along with many of our departed boatnerds were still here with us. God Bless them all!
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny, I'm so sorry life has become such a long and twisting road for you and your family, but it is encouraging that you can remember the blessings and better times along the way. To know you did your best to help your mom and show her the love and respect she needed are probably the most important gifts you gave her. Despite her fragile physical condition, you know she loves you, and that should give you comfort and get you through whatever lies ahead.
My son, Mike, has lived 9 weeks longer than the oncologist predicted but his liver is failing and his voice is very weak. Still, he is able to be up and is not dependent on oxygen. His mind seems focused (still enjoys computer flight simulator programs) and the pain level has been lowered drastically (from "7" to "3" or "4") by a morphine pump. Oral medications were not helping because the liver couldn't do its job to metabolize them.
My prayer for you is that you feel the love and presence of the Lord and the support of those who are walking with you, if only by their prayers, as you go through this part of your journey.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello everyone as I know it has been a long time since I have done any updates here for you as the past seven weeks have not been easy for me and my brother as far as my Mom's condition along with her health and back surgery stuff. My Mom ended up catching and infection in her back after her first surgery on June 23 and they had to go back in and redo the surgery to remove all of what she had done mainly the hardware and the cage part of what she had put into her back. The second surgery went much better and shorter than the first one but, her health just has been going more and more downhill I am afraid and it's sort of like a Domino effect if you will as anything and everything that could go wrong with her has gone wrong and it just keeps on getting worse. She has been in and out of rehab centers and back and forth to the hospital as well and now the worst part is that her kidneys are failing her and is almost completely done and depleted if you know what I mean? She has been in bed mostly for the past seven weeks and gotten up very little and hardly eaten or drank much. I hate to say and to sound like this but, it's almost as if she has given up and finally made peace with herself through all of this. As you all can imagine it is not easy to see my Mom suffering and agonizing in pain as well all of the time and shouting and screaming and screeching but all of this unfortunately is related to the stroke that she had back on July 1 as that caused some major damage to her unfortunately. I hate to say this all but, I'm afraid that her time and end may be near and it is not easy going through this and to say your goodbye to the ones you love especially when it is your parents as my good and dear friend Dick McNeil from Saginaw told me "You only get one Father and Mother in life so enjoy them and treasure them while you can!" My Mom was very fortunate to have made it to be 75 this year and in that lifespan, she got to see one of three sons get married, have a family and see two Grand Daughters both of which graduating High School. Although she was never fortunate to have met him or know him, she also had a Great Grandson also. My Mom got to travel a lot with my Dad as he loved to travel and 40 years ago this summer we took a trip out West as it was one for a lifetime and I was only 4 but celebrated my 5th birthday while in Gardner, Montana believe it or not. I only wish that I could have been older and remembered that trip more than what I do as the stories my family says of it are one of the ages. My Mom also got to see places here close to home such as Washington D.C. and the many attractions there along with Niagara Falls which anyone can say is one of the most beautiful and spectacular places to visit in the World today. So, when her time does come someday as we all know it will not be easy and there will be struggles and moments and hard along with difficult days ahead I know that I will try to deal with it as best as I can. I am also forever thankful to have two good close brothers who have helped me out tremendously and I also know that I will be provided for and well taken care of as well someday when my Mom is gone. There may be long spells such as now for instance when you don't see my posts both here and on the News Page but, I will always and forever be a boatnerd and a boatwatcher and shipwatcher and that will never cease or end as long as I live for I plan to go on with my life the way that both my Mom and Dad would've wanted and to enjoy traveling up along the St. Clair River to watch the passing ship traffic. So the old saying on the Lower Lakes Ships and flag "Don't Give Up the Ship" you can betcha I will never give up the Ship no matter what the odds are and what happens in life. Thanks everyone for your comforting words and heartfelt comments as I really appreciate them and it helps get me through the difficult moments and times I face as well. I've found that Music is definitely good for the Soul as I have lots of Music I listen to and that has helped with a lot of this also. Many of you I know will tell me "Hang in there and to be Strong and believe I'm doing the best that I can and all that I can do at this point!" My brother even told me today "Denny, you are doing fine and okay and handling this is good as you can for right now!" Thanks again everyone and God Bless and Keep the Faith and as my late Father once said "Count your blessings for what you have!"
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Dawn as I appreciate your wonderful thoughts along with your words of encouragement. YES, you are correct as it has been a very hard struggle and rough go for my Mom and I but she was having troubles back in November of last year as to where she was in the hospital about 7-8 times or so for blood pressure and sugar issues as both got way to high and out of wack! The back surgery she had was a fusion between the vertebrae of Discs 3 and 4 on her back if I am making any sense here folks? Hopefully anyone that had back surgery or knows about the back, will have some idea to what I am talking about here. The worst part of all however is this past weekend unfortunately she suffered a stroke really bad but, at least she is alert and awake and not on life support thank goodness. She's had some issues with her memory and one side of her has been effected as well. We don't know yet what the outlook will be as it is a long hard road ahead for her and all of us and she will obviously have to go through some form of rehab and other things. I don't like to fill you all in on too much details so I will end it now at this point. She does know and recognize me along with my oldest brother so you don't need to worry about that issue. There has been issues with her as far as pain in her back for a very long time and she's taken lots of medication as well. So, again I ask you all for your prayers and thoughts as my family and I try to help her to recover and get well and strong to where hopefully in the not too distant future she can somehow return home to as much of a normal life as possible. These next few weeks and months ahead will be hard for all of us and needless to say I don't think I will be making it to the river much if at all in 2017 so I hope to be back maybe sometime in 2018. Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers and photos here on boatnerd and on the KYS facebook page. You all have been wonderful this year and glad to see so many of you are able to get out and shoot the passing freighters. As my late father always told me and now I tell you all as well with this message "Always count your blessings as it could be worse!" Thanks again everyone and YES, I agree with Dawn and her words and comments "With faith and prayers and the proper medical staff and team, my Mom is in a very good place and hospital right now and I have full trust and confidence and faith that she will be well taken care of by the hospital and their staff." Thanks again to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. God Bless and keep the faith!
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny, you, your mother, and your family are in my prayers. So many major changes for each of you in such a short time, but, as you know, faith, prayers, and good medical care will work together to help your mother regain her health and you to return to a more normal life.
So glad you and your brother could spend time together at the Tiger's game!
Since this is your birthday, I'm attaching a birthday photo for you --taken along the St. Clair River in 2012.
Dawn
Attachments
Paul R. Tregurtha & Manitou 2012-08-17.jpg
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks guest for your thoughts and prayers as my family and I very much appreciate them and YES we definitely do need all of your support and prayers along with many other boatnerds and my friends that read this. My Mom had a very hard and difficult back surgery this time around compared to her first one which took place about nine years ago and of course she was nearly 10 years younger then as well! She is still in the hospital recovering from the surgery and the road ahead is going to be a very rough and long one for her. Unfortunately she will not be coming home for a very long time either so that means that there is much more things for me to to now especially at home and more chores than ever as far as keeping up with things and responsibilites. So to let you all know, I cannot make any promises or guarantees right now as far as me keeping up with the Port Reports and other news for here on boatnerd! I hope that you all understand that right now pure and simple my Mom "Is the number one priority no matter what to get her well again and have her return home again someday in the distant future!" If anyone would like to take over the Port Reports they are more than welcomed to do so and you have my utmost respect and blessings! I only ask that if someone takes them over, that you at least allow me to share them once in awhile and to help out with them whenever I can. Now as far as my stories that you have read and seen on here as well, those are on indefinite hold right now and I don't think I need to go into any details as to why as I'm sure you already know that one by now! I appreciate all of your notes, comments, thoughts and prayers as these are very hard and difficult times for my family and I to get through but we are coping and dealing with it as best we can. Today on July 4 both my brother and I attended the Tigers game and YES we brought them good luck and a win. The point is, we both needed a break very badly and it was nice to spend the day together and have some much need fun as we both enjoyed it. I for one have not been to a game either in a few years so it was nice for me to get back there again! It was also nice as well as it was an early gift to me for my birthday since my big day is on July 5 and NO I am not saying how old I will be unless I turn 29 somehow LOL! I will be spending my birthday tomorrow with my brother and also seeing my Mom again as well. So please continue with your prayers and any comments and thoughts. Sorry for a long message here but, just wanted to update you all on everything. Happy July 4 also!

Unread post by guest »

Praying for you and your family, Denny. Stay strong.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know but I am staying away from the details here though, my brother and I visited my Mom yesterday and she is doing a little better than when they first admitted her from the hospital to the nursing home/rehab center. It is still going to take a very long time for her to recover from her back surgey and I am still hoping and praying for her and that God will bless her and to help give her the strength she needs to recover and to return home to a somehow normal life that she once had before she went in to have her surgey done. As I mentioned before, it has really been hard and difficult on my family and myself but we are coping and trying to get through it as best we can. At least we are trying to stay strong for her and having faith as well that she will someday pull through and recover from this. I have also found and I would like to tell this to Bookworm as well as I am sure this will help you and your son Mike, "I've found that lately listening to music is a very soothing comfort for helping get through tough the difficult times. They say that Music is a good tool and comforting for the soul and highly believe that!" Also as we all know, the Power of Prayer and can also be a simply amazing tool as well as we've talked about this many times in the past when some of our dear boatnerd friends on this board have suffered with many serious illnesses and diseases. So, again I ask all of you for your thoughts and prayers for Mom as I know that each day she will continue to get stronger and will keep on fighting to get better and to return home someday. When it comes to health, my family and I have all been fighters and we've never ever stopped or quit for anything!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know, I will try to keep you all updated whenever I can on how my Mom is doing if anyone is interested and would like to know sometime. My birthday is next Wednesday, July 5th and if anyone would like to send along birthday wishes to me, that would be fine and dandy! Usually I wish for something related to the ships or else going to the river or the Soo. With my Mom's health the way it is now unfortunately, you can well imagine what I will be wishing for this year on my birthday and NO it has nothing to do with shipping! Just wish, pray and hope for her to get well and get back to normal somehow again! It will certainly be different this year celebrating my big and special Birthday without her as I've always celebrated in one way or another with my family. Oh well I'll make the best somehow!
Denny

Update from Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to all of my boatnerd friends who read my posts and send along their comments and well wishes as they are greatly and also very much appreciated. I am glad that you have all enjoyed most of my stories that I have sent on here. Unfortunately though I will have to put them on hold for quite some time as my Mom finally had her back surgey done last Friday and unfortunately things did not go very well at all! They had to move her from the hospital and now she is in a nursing home/rehab center and things are not going very well at all I am afraid. It is going to take a very long time for her to recover from this back surgery and I am asking all of you for your thoughts and especially prayers as my Mom tries to pull through this and recover. I know in the past we have always said on these boards "The Power of Prayer is simply amazing what it can do with love and support!" I am trying to stay positive as much as I can and having faith and trust in God that he will help her to recover and get well somehow. As you might imagine it has been taking its toll though on my family and I especially now with so much extra work to do. You cannot imagine how much I miss going to the river and seeing the passing ships and hearing them blow a salute or two. People and family have been trying to tell me "That my time is coming and that one day I will be back there again!" I am sure they are right but it's frustrating as you might imagine and expect. Fortunately I am thankful for boatnerd and to have good friends like you all as well. Your support and words of encouragement have been a huge uplifting for me while I try to get through these difficult times ahead. I know that one day things will get better and I have faith, hope and trust that they will someday. Again, I ask all for your thoughts and prayers for my Mom's health. I will try my best to keep up with the Port Reports here and other news as well along with being on here also. There may be times you don't see my stuff for a while, but I will still be around though.