Musings

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Musings

Unread post by Bookworm »

If you are, (or know) a RR fan, and live in or close to St.Clair County, MI, the Marysville Library (Delaware Ave) has an incredible collection of donated coffee table books in their ongoing sale.
Two that caught my eye were about the Grand Trunk and Western and one of the Santa Fe.
There was also one with beautiful color plates of railroad stations across America.
The price is right -- less than $5.
It was like seeing my dad's RR library again. We were fortunate to have a RR museum in the area (OH) and they took his whole collection.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I was very lucky and fortunate to have gotten aboard the cruise on the Huron Lady II yesterday and we sailed right up next to them while they were all docked in Sarnia. Only the Empire Sandy of the five that were there, I’ve never seen before. It was a lot of fun yesterday and just as fun, we met the downbound American Spirit in Port Huron and we got a great salute from them and I think our dear departed and beloved as well boatnerd friend Lady Pirate must’ve been watching her favorite boat then the former George A. Stinson. Maybe her spirit somehow and way was taking a ride on her yesterday and it was her that saluted all of us!
Bookworm

Saying goodbye to the Tall Ships this morning.
So far I've seen Nao Santa Maria, Picton Castle, and Appledore IV headed down-bound without their sails, so I'll not post photos. Watching them move gracefully over the water is something a camera cannot capture anyway. So, to each sailing ship that participated in the 2019 Tall Ships Festivals around the Great Lakes, Go Safe and thanks for the memories!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm wrote:
garbear wrote:Dawn-I apologize that I just read your post on Duluth/Superior photographers. I've got two more for you. David Schauer and his son Gus who I think will be entering the 8th grade in the fall. David is also the administrator of the Facebook page-"Lake Superior Ports and Shipping". If you have seen NorthStar Ports Magazine you've seen their photos. Also in the latest "Know Your Ships" one of the photos Gus has taken is in there. It's the one with the Joe Block and the Great Republic at the coal dock. They are both great photographers and have recently added a drone to their equipment.
Thanks for the update, Garbear. Actually, I have seen examples of the Schauers' excellent photography in the past few months. The most recent was of Lee A at the Reiss coal dock. It's been awhile since I've seen anything by Patrick or Sam Lapinski, but they were the first Duluth area photographers I learned of when I became a Boatnerd, fifteen years ago.
A favorite of mine was of the Munson backing into Silver Bay. One of David's firsts with his drone.
Bookworm

garbear wrote:Dawn-I apologize that I just read your post on Duluth/Superior photographers. I've got two more for you. David Schauer and his son Gus who I think will be entering the 8th grade in the fall. David is also the administrator of the Facebook page-"Lake Superior Ports and Shipping". If you have seen NorthStar Ports Magazine you've seen their photos. Also in the latest "Know Your Ships" one of the photos Gus has taken is in there. It's the one with the Joe Block and the Great Republic at the coal dock. They are both great photographers and have recently added a drone to their equipment.
Thanks for the update, Garbear. Actually, I have seen examples of the Schauers' excellent photography in the past few months. The most recent was of Lee A at the Reiss coal dock. It's been awhile since I've seen anything by Patrick or Sam Lapinski, but they were the first Duluth area photographers I learned of when I became a Boatnerd, fifteen years ago.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Dawn-I apologize that I just read your post on Duluth/Superior photographers. I've got two more for you. David Schauer and his son Gus who I think will be entering the 8th grade in the fall. David is also the administrator of the Facebook page-"Lake Superior Ports and Shipping". If you have seen NorthStar Ports Magazine you've seen their photos. Also in the latest "Know Your Ships" one of the photos Gus has taken is in there. It's the one with the Joe Block and the Great Republic at the coal dock. They are both great photographers and have recently added a drone to their equipment.
Bookworm

Today, I began reading the book, "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth," by Canadian astronaut, Col. Chris Hadfield.
In it, he recalled that as a 9-year old, he was at the family cottage on Stag Island (in the St. Clair River) July 20, 1969, watching TV with neighbors as Neil Armstrong stepped onto the surface of the moon.
That night, he went outside, looked up at the moon, and knew he was going to be an astronaut, not in the typical way of childhood dreams, but he began deliberately asking himself how an astronaut would think about challenges and problems.
He held fast to that dream, as impossible as it seemed, and took advantage of every opportunity to learn more about the requirements and apply for training to improve his chances of being accepted, should that happen.
It's an interesting read, told with humor and in simple terms.
Bookworm

Over the years, I've discovered the Duluth/Superior area is blessed with an amazing number of highly talented photographers, each with a unique approach to capturing shipping-related themes, nature, or the moods and beauty of Lake Superior.
The names (alphabetically) that come to mind are Glenn Blaszkiewicz, Jeff Doty, Jane Herrick, Dennis O'Hara, and Paul Scinocca.
Recently, the work of Christian Dalbec (Two Harbors) caught my attention. Not content to go to the lake with his camera for typical waterscape images, Chris dons a wet suit and enters the water to capture the incredible colors, wave patterns and textures, and Superior's character in ways few have experienced. His website, showcasing many of the results, was a fantastic adventure for me.
Bookworm

Between 2004 & 2016, it was not at all uncommon to watch an upbound GLF (or an occasional Interlake ship) pull into the Corunna Fuel Dock. More recently, I've seen ASC footers at the northernmost Sarnia Fuel Dock but it's rare to see any but Algoma vessels at the Corunna Fuel Dock. I suspect it has to do with getting the best price -- and filling footers, especially, surely takes vast amounts of money -- so American flagged vessels stop at a Detroit River fuel facility (on the American side) and breeze on through the St. Clair River system as they head north, often denying me a photo op because the 2-3 hours added to their trip brings them past in the dark hours. Yep, they have a job to do and any inconvenience to me is inconsequential. (; )
Bookworm

Garbear wrote:
"Watching the Mackinaw break ice in Two Harbors was spectacular. The way she handled the ice was great."

I've not seen Mackinaw work before. All the ice breaking I've watched included a lot of pushing the ice ahead and along side. It seemed Mackinaw was hovering over it and pushing it behind her. New technology at work?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm wrote:Yesterday morning, I went to the Duluth Canal Cam just in time to watch a glorious sunrise -- fog and clouds obscured the event along the St. Clair River. Through the day, I watched USCG Alder clearing ice (Wisconsin Point Cam); accessed the Harbor Cam to watch Kay E. Barker and tug North Carolina make their way to the fuel dock; saw USCG Mackinaw working to clear ice at Two Harbors (Two Harbors Cam); and then enjoyed a spectacular full moon rising over Lake Superior, as seen on the GLA Cam. If you don't already know about the series of Duluth/Superior/Two Harbors (and, hopefully this spring Silver Bay) webcams installed and maintained by Dennis O'Hara, you're missing out on great "almost like you're there" experiences 24/7 year 'round. Blessings to you, Dennis, and your many supporters -- from far and near -- who make it possible! http://www.duluthharborcam.com/
Watching the Mackinaw break ice in Two Harbors was spectacular. The way she handled the ice was great. Starting to get back into my Port Reports.
Bookworm

Yesterday morning, I went to the Duluth Canal Cam just in time to watch a glorious sunrise -- fog and clouds obscured the event along the St. Clair River. Through the day, I watched USCG Alder clearing ice (Wisconsin Point Cam); accessed the Harbor Cam to watch Kay E. Barker and tug North Carolina make their way to the fuel dock; saw USCG Mackinaw working to clear ice at Two Harbors (Two Harbors Cam); and then enjoyed a spectacular full moon rising over Lake Superior, as seen on the GLA Cam. If you don't already know about the series of Duluth/Superior/Two Harbors (and, hopefully this spring Silver Bay) webcams installed and maintained by Dennis O'Hara, you're missing out on great "almost like you're there" experiences 24/7 year 'round. Blessings to you, Dennis, and your many supporters -- from far and near -- who make it possible! http://www.duluthharborcam.com/
Bookworm

Today would have been my son, Michael's, 47th. birthday. I wanted to do something special to celebrate -- the idea of "Drink a beer in his memory" doesn't fly with me! But, I recalled our first trip to the St. Clair River, and sorted through old memory cards to find the (remaining) photos.
It had started out as a lighthouse tour and we were making good time until we crossed the Michigan state line. There, a road construction detour took us far off our intended route and it was getting dark before we found I-69. Hadley State Park provided a night of tent camping.
The next morning we continued east. When we got to Port Huron, Michael spotted a Lower Lakes vessel in lay-up at Point Edward (couldn't find the photo) and that ended lighthouse visits.
We crossed the Bluewater Bridges (before you needed tons of documentation), found our way to a good vantage point, got the shots we wanted, and drove south along the Canadian side of the St. Clair River.
Along the way we played "pass and catch up" with Algorail (nowhere to pull off and photograph her); came upon Algoeast at a Sarnia petroleum dock; watched Canadian (now Algoma) Transport at the Lambton facility; caught St. Clair up-bound; and returned to the US on the Walpole Ferry.
Here are the few photos I have from that trip, and the scene from across the river this morning.
I'll make the St. Clair River trip in warmer weather -- when ships are moving again.
Attachments
Michael's picture of the Bluewater Bridges.
Michael's picture of the Bluewater Bridges.
Her last voyage was to the scrappers at Aliaga, Turkey, in 2018.
Her last voyage was to the scrappers at Aliaga, Turkey, in 2018.
Now this facility is a memory with plans to demolish it in the near future.
Now this facility is a memory with plans to demolish it in the near future.
The most recent gone but not forgotten GL ship.
The most recent gone but not forgotten GL ship.
Our ride from Canada back to Algonac.
Our ride from Canada back to Algonac.
As I recall, this was in the Monroe, MI area.
As I recall, this was in the Monroe, MI area.
L - R: Frontenac, Algoma Innovator; Algoma Sault and Algoma Niagara at the Government Dock.
L - R: Frontenac, Algoma Innovator; Algoma Sault and Algoma Niagara at the Government Dock.
2019-03-16b Tadoussac.jpg
Robert S. Pierson & Manitowoc at Point Edward.
Robert S. Pierson & Manitowoc at Point Edward.
Bookworm

For some absolutely awesome, amazing, and incredible videos of the beauty of winter, Dennis O'Hara has posted several breath-taking compositions from the Lake Superior Region on the Duluth Harbor Cam home page.

Unread post by Guest »

Bookworm wrote:Earlier this week, as the USCG & CCG worked feverishly to clear the ice jam in the lower St. Clair River, someone shared a post, from another forum, which continues to gnaw on me. The commenter expressed obvious anger that the freighters were being allowed to move at all, as the results would surely be major damage to or destruction of private boat docks. Ok, if the ice jam was not broken up, surely it, too, would impact the private boat docks. And as for allowing the freighters to move, are those private docks more essential to the economy and public needs than the petroleum or other products they were carrying? Were the ships to anchor in place, with crew aboard, until the spring thaw? And finally, the St. Clair River has been a major shipping route for centuries. Should that be stopped because private citizens chose to buy land and build along its banks?
If I'm not mistaken, docks built into a navigable waterway by private individuals are not insurable. I would tend to believe that state and.or federal regulations give priority of marine traffic over private ownership of dock stretching into the river. Doesn't the landowners rights stop at the shoreline or public easement? If that is so, then the construction of docks into the river is done at the owner's risk.
Bookworm

Earlier this week, as the USCG & CCG worked feverishly to clear the ice jam in the lower St. Clair River, someone shared a post, from another forum, which continues to gnaw on me. The commenter expressed obvious anger that the freighters were being allowed to move at all, as the results would surely be major damage to or destruction of private boat docks. Ok, if the ice jam was not broken up, surely it, too, would impact the private boat docks. And as for allowing the freighters to move, are those private docks more essential to the economy and public needs than the petroleum or other products they were carrying? Were the ships to anchor in place, with crew aboard, until the spring thaw? And finally, the St. Clair River has been a major shipping route for centuries. Should that be stopped because private citizens chose to buy land and build along its banks?
Bookworm

On the day after Christmas, someone (not on Boatnerd) posted a photo of a ship with a Christmas tree on deck. Incredibly, someone replied that "It's the day after Christmas, they should take it down!"
Well, to me that indicated a vast lack of both knowledge and human kindness. First, our GL mariners aren't at home to enjoy the family tree in the weeks from set-up to take down. Cold and windy weather on the lakes has not been the greatest for decorating (or undecorating) decks so kudos to those who did. And, to the one who commented, you aren't out there. It isn't your boat. So mind your own business and let our mariners tend to theirs, doing the best they can to add a bit of festivity to a challenging job!
Bookworm

A quick trip to the river before daybreak -- to watch my favorite headed up-bound --led to an unexpected sighting of the cruise ship Hamburg, decked out in festive lights as she headed down-bound! Only a few minutes before, clouds parted revealing the moon and then high-level fog moved in obscuring even the towers of "Chemical Valley". Every trip to the river holds the possibility of adventure for me.
Bookworm

Ah, I had no idea how much I missed the sound of ship salutes on the river until I began hearing them again! The sound makes me feel really good and alive again!
Bookworm

Tomorrow, tomorrow, can't wait for tomorrow...oh those aren't the lyrics from "Annie," but they are for my song! Tomorrow the movers come to load my things and take them from Oscoda to my new St. Clair County home!
So, garbear, Denny, and anyone else who wants to hang out at the River Crab, Junction Buoy, Freighters, the Maritime Center, or my favorites, Denny's and Big Boy, just say when!