Lambton Generating

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
StClairBN

Re: Lambton Generating

Unread post by StClairBN »

I would think that the coal yard would make a good aggregate yard complete with deep port. The old coal conveyor tunnel is still in place up to the old coal yard but the belts have been long gone. A direct electric service was run out to the dock facilities back in the summer. So I suspect something may come of this.

Regards, John

Unread post by Guest »

I believe the Shell facility was to be located directly across from the DTE plant at Recor Point. It would be nice to see the property repurposed for shipping use, but I doubt it will happen.

Does anyone know the first and last ship to deliver coal to this facility?
johnfrombrighton

Unread post by johnfrombrighton »

Some years ago, Shell Oil was looking at building another facility along the St Clair. My recollection is that the facility was going to be built in the Courtright area.

Ultimately, the facility was not built. But with a site like LGS, is it possible Shell would reconsider building another facility along the St Clair?

Unread post by Guest »

The loss of another long established landmark along the St. Clair River. I still have a hard time getting used to the absence of the Detroit Edison Plant at Marysville. I believe that the DTE plant at Recor Point is also going to be demolished during the 2020s. The closure of Lambton sure cut down Canadian traffic on the river, the switch away from coal by DTE is surely to have a negative impact upon the US fleet.

Unread post by Guest »

The plant started operation in April 1969 and reached full output of nearly 2000 megawatts in 1970.

Check this site for details about the demo:

https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn ... d-exercise

"Demolition of the two west smokestacks is scheduled for demolition next summer while the remaining east stack will be dropped in 2020. The 550-foot tall stacks will be imploded, says Roorda, noting that JMX will sub out the work."

Unread post by Guest »

The Courtright power plant opened sometime in the late 1960s. The Canadian Progress set a few records carrying coal from Conneaut to Courtright in 1969 and 1970.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Can someone please provide any news or information as to just when they plan then to demolish Lambton? That would be something to see but, I’m sure they’ll have certain sections and areas along with locations closed and shut down while they do that. Needless to say, I’m sure that there will be plenty of smoke and dust once it’s demolished and also the noise of the implosion of the plant itself I’m sure will require one also to have ear protection as well. Please keep this posted updated along with any pictures or video of the demolition as I’m sure along with myself, many others will want to see photos and video of the demolition here.

Lambton Generating

Unread post by Guest »

With the upcoming demolishing of the Lambton Generating Station at Courtright, Ontario, I was wonder when this facility first opened? I remember seeing from my youngest years (early 70s) and was always interested in the ships that docked there to unload in the large black funnel shaped hopper.