Grounding of a ship in lower Lake Huron

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Grounding of a ship in lower Lake Huron

Unread post by Guest »

From the fleet photo page,
“ In late 1997 the Buffalo struck the Detroit River Light, located in Lake Erie that marks the entrance into the Detroit River. It was headed from Detroit to Cleveland at the time of the collision in weather conditions reported as clear with waves measuring two to three feet.

The collision ripped a 25 foot gash across the bow of the freighter which took on water, but was considered seaworthy enough to proceed to the CSX coal dock in Toledo. Damage to the lighthouse was minimal, involving only the structure's rock and stone foundation.”

Unread post by Guest »

A few years back a tug/barge hit Lt 29D ( Bar Point Lt) in the Detroit river above the river light. Totally destroyed the light.

Unread post by Guest »

I think that it was the Detroit River Light that was hit and not the Toledo Harbor Light. It was a very dark night. A wet snow squall earlier in the evening had covered most of the navigation lights on the north side, including the Detroit River Light. There was a vessel at anchor just west of East Outer Channel Lt 1. The lights on the anchored vessel were so bright that it looked closer than the Detroit River Light with its light diminished by snow on the lens.
Westcoastwine

Unread post by Westcoastwine »

Hey - I stumbled on this site, and man, does it take me back to my work on the lakes freighters circa 1977-1981.Thee references to the Buffalo bring back the total sh..show with its first load, and the Adam E running aground in the Detroit River (downbound). And I really have to remember, but I think it was the Adam E that "sank" as we were unloading after layup - we kept getting lower instead of higher, and bottomed out. Basically could almost step across to the dock. But damnit, I've dined off that "sinking" more than a few times.....
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

It was the Buffalo sometime in the mid to late 1990s. You can see the photos and read the story about it under the Fleet Photo Galleries and history pages. Look for the Algoma Buffalo and you should find all of the information and photos on it there. Needless to say, it sure did a number that’s for certain! I don’t think the lighthouse itself suffered much of any damage but the bow of the Buffalo took the full force and brunt of it. Hope this helps.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Ship hits navigation light... Didn't one have that experience with the Toledo Light a few years back?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Wilfred Sykes also had an incident not too long ago but I don’t think she grounded but rather hit a dock either in Sarnia or Sombra and then later went to Toledo for repairs. This I think happened about a couple or so years ago maybe? I also recall sometime about the late 2000s that the Nanticoke now Salarium of course, grounded near Marine City as well. I can’t recall most of the groundings that happened in the past few years on the St. Clair River and when? Perhaps if someone has more information, maybe they could provide a list and a few photos possibly? The worst grounding that I’m aware of was April 2000 at that time when the American Mariner hit Light 7. That caused delays for days until the Adam E. Cornelius was summoned to take on some of the Mariner’s cargo to free it. It definitely caused a backup and parade of ships once that got cleared up!
StClairBN

Unread post by StClairBN »

The one at the Voyager was the Sidsel Knutsen, a saltie tanker back in 2010.

I recall a Lower Lakes ATB getting caught up on the sand bar at the north end of Fawn Island while attempting to turn into Marine City aggregate dock. That wasn't that long ago.

Regards, John
Bookworm

MattJ wrote:On Aug 1, 2012 the Buffalo grounded just below buoys 1&2 on the Canadian side due to the engines declutching.
I remember that one. Thanks Matt. St. Clair River incidents I recall (since becoming a Boatnerd) were a Lower Lakes ship trying to make Freighter's a drive-in but getting stopped by the rail along the Port Huron Riverwalk and one from another company doing the same at St. Clair's Voyager Restaurant.
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

On Aug 1, 2012 the Buffalo grounded just below buoys 1&2 on the Canadian side due to the engines declutching.
Bookworm

Renamed- Centenario Trader - IMO 7367275 she is active in the Panama Canal Zone. There was a picture of her taken last month uploaded to shipspotting.com[/quote]

Thanks Brian. I see her most recent position (Marine Traffic) was Venezuela. Makes perfect sense!
Brian Ferguson

Unread post by Brian Ferguson »

Bookworm wrote:I know Jupiter was a total loss and that Saturn was sold off lake and renamed. Does she still sail today?
Renamed- Centenario Trader - IMO 7367275 she is active in the Panama Canal Zone. There was a picture of her taken last month uploaded to shipspotting.com
Bookworm

Another question: While moored at Oswego, NY, the tanker Saturn was nearby, waiting for storm related clean-up of the waterway before getting underway again. They struck up a conversation with a crewman -- who was aboard Jupiter when it burned on the Saginaw River, several years previously.
I know Jupiter was a total loss and that Saturn was sold off lake and renamed. Does she still sail today?
Bookworm

Guest wrote:The only ship I know that grounded around 1999 was American Mariner when it hit Light 7 and grounded in lower Lake Huron. But that occurred in April 2000.
I reread that portion (the author scattered historical dates throughout the adventure) which verified he signed on to crew the tall masted schooner MALABAR, in April of 2000.
They were responsible for getting it from Chicago to a new owner on the east coast. So the grounded ship more than likely was American Mariner. Thanks.

Unread post by Guest »

The only ship I know that grounded around 1999 was American Mariner when it hit Light 7 and grounded in lower Lake Huron. But that occurred in April 2000.
Bookworm

Grounding of a ship in lower Lake Huron

I'm reading "The Living Great Lakes (Jerry Dennis) in which he refers to the grounding of a freighter in lower Lake Huron, in 1999. Online and Boatnerd searches come up empty. This was 5 years before I got "Hooked on Ships".
His account (from the deck of a tall ship) speaks to low water levels, but does not identify the vessel. And I'm curious!