Indiana Harbor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
StClairBN

Re: Indiana Harbor

Unread post by StClairBN »

The average 1/2 load discharge last year was just over 10 hours and the range is from just under 8 hours to a couple that took close to 16 hours which was more normal for a full load.

Regards, John
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

How long and what is the average time then for a “split load” at St. Clair as I think I’ve heard the PRT once on radio say he’s there sometimes between 8-9 hours yet I’ve seen much longer than that on a split load! Not sure what the average unload time is at Monroe but again, I have seen them and others there for more than 8-9 hours unloading though.
StClairBN

Unread post by StClairBN »

Indy Harbour took just over 21 hours to unload. but the 3 full loads by the Barker were about 17 and 1/4 hours and the 2 full loads by the Minor were 15 and 16 hours. So I'm thinking that there were some problems either with Indy or Recor and this was an abnormal discharge and that 14 to 18 is more normal.

Regards, John
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

This is to orangeshirt regarding the Indiana Harbor. Well I was right in many ways about their visit to the St. Clair Power Plant in St. Clair with their coal cargo. First and foremost, they did indeed stop for fuel after they unloaded at St. Clair. That much I knew and figured they would do. However, their unload at St. Clair though went much longer than I had anticipated which they spent about 24 hours or so give or take at St. Clair. So needless to say I am guessing and speculating only that straight loads by the footers at St. Clair may exceed the average time of 12-18 hours when you take and look at the amount of time the Indy spent while unloading this time at St. Clair. Their fuel stop in Sarnia took them almost 3 hours or so as well. So, all I can do is keep hoping and praying that they keep the Big Indy running for a while this season and that at some point hopefully this year I'll get lucky and see them up at the Bluewater Bridge in Port Huron before the cold and freeze and the snow begins to start falling as well. I'll continue to track them as far as any time they are on the river and IF I can see them or not.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just checking the Port Huron webcam now and I see the Indy is down and just below the Black River and passing by Sarnia on their way to the St. Clair Power Plant to deliver coal. The ETA that is on the MERC site is very precise and accurate as they should arrive at the SCPP to unload at around 2200 hours this evening give or take. Unfortunately I cannot be at Port Huron tomorrow to see them going up as I have appointments to attend and take care of. Hopefully they will keep the Big Indy out for a while yet this season and with a lot of luck, maybe I’ll get lucky and see them in Port Huron this year.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just checked them now orangeshirt and they are down at the Soo now but still above the locks yet by a little bit. Also, the Gott is coming down behind them and I see the American Century is also coming downbound behind both the Indy and the Gott. The Indy might make it down here tomorrow before dark but I highly doubt both the Gott and Century will. If the Indy gets down before dark tomorrow, evening photos of them will be outstanding maybe? You are correct also as far as them going up on Thursday as they should have nice lighting for that one so long as they don’t take too long to unload at St. Clair. A normal unload is about 12-18 hours give or take but, I’ve seen often to where these unloads can take at least 24 hours or more. So, we’ll have to wait and see there.
orangeshirt

Unread post by orangeshirt »

Well, they may be gaining time. AIS shows 1800 Wednesday at The power plant. I don't trust that time but will check on them in the morning. I have some work to do on board and I don't want it to become an all-nighter. I'm getting too old for that. At any rate they should be back upbound in good daylight Thursday.
Denny

Indiana Harbor

Unread post by Denny »

This week so far anyway, orangeshirt had mentioned to me about when the Indiana Harbor would be at St. Clair and the SCPP this week as far as unloading coal. I was hoping to see and catch them downbound at the Bluewater Bridge in Port Huron sometime and then getting them going up at the bridge also. I’ve never seen the Indy at the Bridge either way since they got those ASC banners and signs on their cabin areas a few years ago. Well, I just got done doing my MERC website search and it appears that I won’t be seeing them downbound in daylight this week as they’re due at St. Clair to unload on August 5th at 2200 or 10 P.M. in the evening which definitely wouldn’t work for me in the dark and I had mentioned before about me not driving in the dark since I don’t have any experience. The point is, the Indy should be back upbound though on the St. Clair River on August 6 in the afternoon for sure but I don’t know if they may fuel first out there or not? If they do stop and fuel, then obviously they would pass under the Bluewater Bridge up in Port Huron probably later on in the day at some point. We will just have to wait and see as far as if I get to see them on the river this week or not?