Little sad about the Arctic going to scrap

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Little sad about the Arctic going to scrap

Unread post by Guest »

Although it is an unhappy occasion for a ship to go to scrap, the Arctic did have a career extending over 40 years. That is quite lengthy for a saltwater ship.
rh

Unread post by rh »

The Arctic beached at Aliaga this morning.
DJB

Unread post by DJB »

StClairBN John below

It as quick of a scrap turnaround I've seen - maybe she's has like 2 weeks let on a survey or something and they can sail and not tow her, - I was most surprised because for the last year, there is a number of chat's here about what ships might go to scrap, and she was not on the list, never mentioned - maybe her oil/diesel/gas hauling is not out of date (double hull) and no-one can run her anywhere??? I was just surprised how quick it was announced and done and gone as well
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
garbear wrote:I believe many years ago she loaded grain at then Cargill B-1 here in Duluth. Would hate to guess how long ago that was.

According to the book Great Lakes Shipping Log, the Arctic spent some time aground at Thunder Bay on June 2, 1985, while being shifted between docks. At the time it had been at Port Arthur Shipbuilding since late 1984 being converted to the ore/bulk/oil carrier. It was later hit by CSL's Manitoulin on July 20, 1985, with both ships receiving minor damage before being reported downbound at the Soo Locks on July 27. Perhaps it is possible that the Arctic loaded at Duluth on this occasion? I don't recall this ship ever making frequent voyages into the upper lakes.
That would seem like the right year. Thought

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:I believe many years ago she loaded grain at then Cargill B-1 here in Duluth. Would hate to guess how long ago that was.

According to the book Great Lakes Shipping Log, the Arctic spent some time aground at Thunder Bay on June 2, 1985, while being shifted between docks. At the time it had been at Port Arthur Shipbuilding since late 1984 being converted to the ore/bulk/oil carrier. It was later hit by CSL's Manitoulin on July 20, 1985, with both ships receiving minor damage before being reported downbound at the Soo Locks on July 27. Perhaps it is possible that the Arctic loaded at Duluth on this occasion? I don't recall this ship ever making frequent voyages into the upper lakes.
StClairBN

Unread post by StClairBN »

I see that the Arctic is downbound on the St.Lawrence close to Baie Comeau with a destination of Aliaga. Wow that was quick. She had just returned from a trip to the Arctic to Deception Bay, the announcement is made and she's on her way.

Regards, John
Syd bc

Unread post by Syd bc »

I remember on one o her first trips up the seaway she was sliding the wall below one of the locks With her ICE bow she extended over the wall and took down some lamp post
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

Many years ago we were in the same part of the world at the same time.
The "Artic" was leaving the locks in Antwerp when we on "Saskatchewan Pioneer" were waiting to enter. Very very unusual for two Canadian boats to be so close. We each blow the he a salute of thee long and two-short..
DJB

Unread post by DJB »

Someone mentioned this below - here's the link http://shipfax.blogspot.com/2021/03/leg ... scrap.html

Thanks Badger for directing me - great article
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I believe many years ago she loaded grain at then Cargill B-1 here in Duluth. Would hate to guess how long ago that was.
badger

Unread post by badger »

check out shipfax there is an article there about the arctic

'

Unread post by guest »

Sad to see it go. Always hoped that it might make a ice-season run up the St Clair and St. Marys Rivers. Guess that will never happen.
DJB

Little sad about the Arctic going to scrap

Unread post by DJB »

with all the talk about which ship would go to scrap next, never once heard the name Arctic - I know she mainly ran out of Montreal, Contrecœur , & Valleyfield to the Canadian Arctic Ocean - However I remember her being built and refit in Welland at the Wellar ship yard - I think she on the occasion came in to grab a load of Wheat - always thought she was nice looking workhorse of the North - Little disappointed no one else has mentioned she's off to scrap at Alang as well - https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/AR ... -316056000