Algoma Sault

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Algoma Sault

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Andrew wrote:Katmai Bay is working northern Lake Michigan now, but I'd agree. It's been a woeful performance this winter by the Coast Guard, partially due to breakdowns. It certainly makes a good argument for another icebreaker on the Lakes. Also, poor timing for the MMA swap. I don't know why the Coast Guard took the Alder during the time of year when it would be needed most. Granted, she's a buoy tender, but she could at least have done something. It will be interesting to see what happens above the locks come March 25 with no asset to break out Lake Superior.

It's reminiscent of 1975 when the Coast Guard had most of their assets down and couldn't do much to help with the Fitzgerald search.
Alder would have been stuck up on Lake Superior anyway, so not like she would have been useful in the straits.
Guest22

Unread post by Guest22 »

She’s on her way to Sarnia for fuel and Mackinaw is in for repairs
Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Katmai Bay is working northern Lake Michigan now, but I'd agree. It's been a woeful performance this winter by the Coast Guard, partially due to breakdowns. It certainly makes a good argument for another icebreaker on the Lakes. Also, poor timing for the MMA swap. I don't know why the Coast Guard took the Alder during the time of year when it would be needed most. Granted, she's a buoy tender, but she could at least have done something. It will be interesting to see what happens above the locks come March 25 with no asset to break out Lake Superior.

It's reminiscent of 1975 when the Coast Guard had most of their assets down and couldn't do much to help with the Fitzgerald search.
ashland69

Algoma Sault

Unread post by ashland69 »

I see the Algoma Sault is on its way to Sarnia (probably layup) and has been sitting in northern Lake Michigan for days now. And very recently, the Niagara has joined her with the Intrepid situated westbound in the Straits. Anyone know what's going on? I mean, even the Mackinaw is sitting at her dock, apparently doing nothing. It all seems very strange. It's like the coast guard has cancelled all icebreaking! Thots appreciated.