SL Tadoussac

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: SL Tadoussac

Unread post by Guest »

I wonder why the Frontenac was able to survive with no major rebuild when the other self-unloaders mentioned were either retired or reconstructed. Since she was converted in 72 it's not as though she had a shorter lifespan as a self-unloader. The McGiffin was built in 1972 and received a new forebody less than 30 years later.

Unread post by Guest »

The rebuild of the Tadoussac in the 2000s was to replace the side and bottom tanks of the vessel due to corrosion and the wear of steel plating and shell internals due to the constant canalling most of the CSL self-unloaders were engaged in.

The ability to increase her width from 75 to 78 feet allowed an increase of 2,000 tons per trip through the Seaway.

Unread post by Guest »

Strictly speaking, she didn't need the widening for cement clinker.

But that long term contract secured CSL's need for her, providing justification in investing in updating her self-unloading equipment and replacing her deteriorated side tanks (Which otherwise were about to end her career just like they had with the Manitoulin, Saguenay, and Tarantau).

With the near replacement of her lower hull, little reason not to widen her to the new standard of 78' while they were at it (Which indeed was done to increase her capacity).
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

If I’m correct on my information, I believe she was widened in 2001 at the Port Weller Drydocks? This I believe was done because she entered a new trade pattern of then hauling cement clinkers. Back then she would load the cement clinkers in Bowmanville for the Essroc Cement Dock in Essexville. From there, after unloading they would then go up to Superior and load ore pellets at the ore dock and then deliver them to Nanticoke or Hamilton. They would then repeat the process over again after that. Hope my information has helped. You might find more information on her and the widening by looking up her history in the Fleet History Gallery on boatnerd. Again, hope my information helps.
ChrisW

Unread post by ChrisW »

No, you can see her here in 1990 in Goderich.
Had a black hull (no side extension).
Attachments
Tadoussac 1990 small.jpg
Old Man

SL Tadoussac

Unread post by Old Man »

Did she always have that bustle on her hull? Is the purpose to increase her capacity?