Saltie info

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Saltie info

Unread post by Denny »

To add more to this thread and my own comments regarding Saltie info for Colin. A few other sources to check out I would recommend trying these. First and foremost, the late Norman Eakins once did a publication many years ago on both Salties and US and Canadian ships. Point is, his publications would often list what the inbound cargoes were and where they were headed to. He passed away however, many years ago so I can't say or tell you there who to contact for that information? He did his work back in the mid to lake 1990s decade. Another one you might try is to contact Rene Beauchamp in Montreal. He publishes a yearly book on the salties and he would list the inbound cargoes and destinations on the salties if known that is. He used to do his book in both paper edition and in digital format as well. That's the best that I can do. Hope this helps.
Colin

Unread post by Colin »

Thank you for all the info very useful.

If anyone know of a source for all ships entering leaving the system that would be really useful.

Also any historic data, most of the ports seem to only have current vessels and the internet archive only has a few days captured.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Port of Green Bay and their website will also sometimes list where inbound cargoes are coming from and what they are as far as salties as well. However, Green Bay doesn't see or get too many salties there with a few delivering wood products at times to the KK Integrated Dock and they may also get and receive a few foreign flagged tankers too from time to time. Last year as I recall, Wagenborg Shipping sent a few of their ships to Green Bay last year. In the past I've seen a few foreign flagged tankers go in there as well but not sure if they had any come into the port last year or not? I'm sure Green Bay will probably have a few Wagenborg ships arriving throughout this season with cargos.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Also to add, Port of Montreal also lists where some of the cargoes come from and go to as well on salties. Another one is Fednav’s website at least they list where the inbound cargoes on their Falline schedule are coming from anyway. Hope that this information helps.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Great Lakes port authority websites that display vessel traffic info:

https://www.hopaports.ca/vessel-tracking-oshawa/ (to view vessel listing, scroll down past the embedded marinetraffic map)

https://www.hopaports.ca/locations/port ... -tracking/ (to view vessel listing, scroll down past the embedded marinetraffic map)

https://www.portofcleveland.com/maritim ... -schedule/
Colin

Saltie info

Unread post by Colin »

Does anyone know if there is a source for info on the the origin of inbound cargoes and the destination of outbound cargoes of salties?

I can find the info for a few individual ports but as far as I can find nothing on the seaways site.