1980 US Grain Embargo Impact on the Great Lakes

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: 1980 US Grain Embargo Impact on the Great Lakes

Unread post by Guest »

There were several incidents in the Spring of 1980 at the beginning of the embargo where US Seaway pilots refused to provide pilotage for Russian vessels.

September/October 1980 issue of Telescope.
https://images.maritimehistoryofthegrea ... 27391T.PDF
hugh3

Re: 1980 US Grain Embargo Impact on the Great Lakes

Unread post by hugh3 »

During 1964 I was on the Enders M. Vorhees, and we made ten trips out the seaway. On one of those trips we loaded in Toledo and off loaded in Beya Como (s) Quebec. They were off loading right from us into a Russian Vessel in the next slip.

1980 US Grain Embargo Impact on the Great Lakes

Unread post by Guest »

I'm not trying to open a discussion on current events but rather what took place during the 1980s US grain embargo against the Soviet Union. If I recall correctly, Canada increased their sales of grain to the USSR at the same time. Were any of these grain cargoes carried directly off the lakes to Soviet ports or were such cargoes moved down the lakes for shipment from Canadian ports on the lower St. Lawrence? Were there any problems moving this gran through to US controlled Soo Locks or the two US locks on the Seaway? Given the geographical nature of the movements, I would assume that the Canadian grain traffic to the Soviet Union would have been primarily eastward to the Atlantic rather than westward to the Pacific. How did the embargo affect US grain loading ports such as Duluth and Superior?