Where is the Cort unloading in this 1980 photo

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Where is the Cort unloading in this 1980 photo

Unread post by Guest »

Here is the Steelton unloading at Burns Harbor in the early 1970s.

https://digital.hagley.org/1986268_1_0805

Unread post by Guest »

It's certainly not Lackawanna, as the hopper was at the far, inside end of the dock. Bethlehem Steel's Lackawanna's shutdown was announced in November 1982.

Unread post by Guest »

I too agree with the photo being taken at Burns Harbor, especially with the location of the break wall in the background. The presence of a Bethlehem Maritimer in the shot also dates this image as being taken at some point before the 1980 season. By 1980, the only such steamer in the Bethlehem fleet would have been the Lehigh (3) and that ship last operated for the company in 1979. The Lehigh (3) spent 1he 1980 season in layup at Erie, Pennsylvania, and was sold to the Soo River Company in early 1981 to become the Joseph X. Robert. Furthermore, when the Stewart J. Cort took ore to Lackawanna in 1974 following the Steelton (3) accident on the Welland Canal, the Lehigh (3) was trapped below the shutdown waterway so it is unlikely that vessel would have been at Lackawanna at the same time as the Cort.

In a somewhat related question, does anyone know if there was ever a hopper installed at Lackawanna the Stewart J. Cort could unload into?
Old I beam seaman

Unread post by Old I beam seaman »

That is definitely Burns Harbor. you can tell by the mooring heads tied up to them many times. Also by the hopper. The Cort went to Buffalo twice? in 74 when we were all backed up in the Seaway when the Steelton hit the bridge.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Just a guess and thought but, maybe Buffalo-Lackawanna? I believe and think that the Cort was going and unloading there in the 1980s but not sure when that ended? Not sure if they had a receiving hopper there like at Burns Harbor or Conneaut? To my knowledge the only ports back then I think that saw ships the size of the Cort from Bethlehem were there at Burns Harbor and Buffalo-Lackawanna unless I’m wrong? Anyone else here care to try and help Roger on this one? As far as I know, the Cort has never unloaded in Conneaut so I don’t think the photo is from there?

I unloaded in Conneaut enough over the years and it's not Conneaut.
jim gallant

Unread post by jim gallant »

yes it could be lackawana but before 1980 because the steel mill was shutered by then. remember going there in the 70s on the ss sir james dunn. not too far from the mill gates were dozens of bars. i was there in the laye 70s and the mill was closed as were all the bars. no i wasnt on a ship, in my own car being nosey!
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

The other vessel is a Bethlehem maritimer such as Lehigh or Steelton. Slide may have been mounted backwards, here it is flipped.
Attachments
1980.jpg
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In looking and viewing at the photo of the Cort unloading in 1980, one can clearly see there's another vessel there with the Cort! I can't though identify the other vessel or its stack however, it appears that the other ship in the photo is indeed most definitely a "Maritimer-class vessel!" Don't know if this will help much as far as where the Cort was unloading at however, if somehow we can identify the other ship in the photo and its stack then we might get more of an idea as far as where it was from?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just a guess and thought but, maybe Buffalo-Lackawanna? I believe and think that the Cort was going and unloading there in the 1980s but not sure when that ended? Not sure if they had a receiving hopper there like at Burns Harbor or Conneaut? To my knowledge the only ports back then I think that saw ships the size of the Cort from Bethlehem were there at Burns Harbor and Buffalo-Lackawanna unless I’m wrong? Anyone else here care to try and help Roger on this one? As far as I know, the Cort has never unloaded in Conneaut so I don’t think the photo is from there?
BigRiver

Where is the Cort unloading in this 1980 photo

Unread post by BigRiver »

Doesn't look like Burns Harbor
Attachments
1980.jpg