Alpena

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Alpena

Unread post by Denny »

Yes indeed and they were due to arrive in Green Bay today during the morning to unload and estimated to depart late this evening. Of note as well, she still has the number "79" painted in front of her pilothouse as far as last season being her 79th season on the waters. I'm sure then at some point the captain and crew will be painting the number 80 for their 80th season. Every year for a while now they've been doing that on the Alpena. Can't wait myself to see this classic lady of the lakes, to hear that classic whistle of hers once again and to see that new paint job and also see the number 80 painted as well on her pilothouse. Cheers all.
Custom500

Unread post by Custom500 »

It looks like Alpena is making the rounds. I know that if I store a bag of cement in my shed, it eventually gets hard as a rock. Is she picking up spoiled product?

Unread post by Guest »

The Alpena stopped in Detroit to unload, then moved to Mistersky to take on fuel.

Unread post by Guest »

Job ford em ford Townsend iglehart all big conversion jobs to cement carriers during national gypsum ownership of Huron cement.
FWE

Unread post by FWE »

One of my all time vessel. Where bigger isn't always better, she underwent major conversion, shortening her hull and repurposing her from Ore service to a Cement carrier. Who recalls other hulls that went through radical types of conversion, barring the salt water vessels brought up to the lakes?
Jerry

Unread post by Jerry »

Got to have fuel.

Unread post by Guest »

Why Detroit? I saw she stopped in Alpena on her way to Cleveland... Do you think maybe she laid up with a load in her that she's delivering today?
Jerry

Unread post by Jerry »

Alpena on the move. Going to Detroit, than to Alpena to load
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Agreed.

Unread post by Guest »

Her AIS has been on for about a week. Should be soon.
ashland69

Alpena

Unread post by ashland69 »

Anyone hear or know when the Alpena is going to sail? When I was young, when the first Huron Cement boat of the year sailed past Detroit, the shipping season was underway!