First Boat at the Soo for 2022 Updates

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: First Boat at the Soo for 2022 Updates

Unread post by Denny »

Both the Speer and the Gott have now cleared the St. Clair River and each are now in Lake Huron with the Gott just recently entering Lake Huron a little bit ago. Both look great and the Speer especially looks great as she was just repainted not too long ago.

Re: First Boat at the Soo for 2022 Updates

Unread post by Guest »

The CoE has been expecting the Speer to be first. The Clyde S. anchored for weather and won't be a factor.
Denny

First Boat at the Soo for 2022 Updates

Unread post by Denny »

As of 9:30 a.m. on March 22. The Clyde S. VanEnkevort along with their barge Erie Trader departed lay-up in Sturgeon Bay in the morning hours of March 22 for Silver Bay per their AIS. Also, the Edgar B. Speer is up in the St. Clair River now as I type this and just past the St. Clair and the Belle River Power Plants. The Edwin H. Gott is stopped in Detroit to fuel at Mistersky from what I am seeing on the AIS maps. Point is, from the looks of things right now first upbound at the Soo for the opening may be either the Clyde or the Speer? Of course anything can change on that one as I don't ever try to figure that out anymore! Just letting you all know and give you an update and heads up as well. The fun has begun again! Also, the Laura L. VanEnkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson was the first ship and boat last year in 2021 at the Soo in case anyone may have forgotten on that one. Yet to be determined so far anyway will be who the first downbound will be at the Soo? So far, I'm not seeing to many yet leaving Duluth-Superior or Thunder Bay but that will change soon!