C. H. McCullough - Medusa Cement

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: C. H. McCullough - Medusa Cement

Unread post by Guest »

Medusa Cement had intended to convert the C. H. McCullough into a cement carrier after her purchase from Interlake Steamship in 1970, but when freight rates were high in 1973 they operated her in the iron ore trade. In fact she made a trip down the Welland Canal on October 19, 1973 with a partial load of barley for Oswego and a another trip on November 9, 1973 with soybeans for Toronto.

The C. H. McCullough operated in 1974 and was laidup in the Fall of that year with a grain cargo at Milwaukee.

She did not operate in 1975 or afterwards, and her conversion was delayed and then cancelled after Medusa Cement purchased Bethlehem Steel's Steelton (II) in 1977.

C. H. McCullough - Medusa Cement

Unread post by Guest »

I believe Medusa Cement acquired the steamer C. H. McCullough at some time in the early 1970s. Apparently, it was later decided that this vessel was ill-suited for a conversion into a cement carrier. After its sale, however, this vessel operated for a least a brief period in the bulk trades (coal, ore) as I have seen a picture of it being unloaded at the NYPANO dock at Cleveland during the early1970s. As the ship is wearing Medusa stack markings in the picture, I was wondering if anyone knew if this was the only instance of Medusa operating a vessel outside of the cement trade? Was this some type of special contract Medusa received or did they just compete with other carriers for cargoes?