Blough observation

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Old Sailor

Re: Blough observation

Unread post by Old Sailor »

hugh3 wrote: [/YouTube]841038]
Link to Photos of Blough in Conneaut after tow...

Unread post by Guest »

Those are amazing pictures from the drone at Port Colborne. I didn't see anything left of the St. Clair. Is she gone?

So how many boats can they berth there at one time waiting to be scrapped?

Unread post by Guest »

Its only 92 miles on the open lake. So a day tops.
https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publica ... tances.pdf

Unread post by guest »

favorable weather about 6 hours, but not before spring.

Unread post by Guest »

How long would a tow take from her dock to IMS?
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

Well I guess the hand writing is on the wall,the blough will for sure be going to scrap now or they wouldn’t be removing all of this equipment. All hopes of her surviving are dashed now and it won’t be long before she makes the short journey across Lake Erie to her final port of call.

Unread post by guest »

I just noticed that the deck winches have been removed too. Interesting that they left the center and starboard pilothouse searchlights but removed the port searchlight.

Unread post by Guest »

How do you access the photos associated with the Nov. 6 NEWS page?
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Link to Photos of Blough in Conneaut after tow...

Unread post by Guest »

I assumed they were pumping out ballast as well since the hoses were running over the side- if you compare the recent photos at Conneaut to images from the tow, she’s sitting about 6ft higher now and the bow thruster tunnel is visible.

When I asked a CN employee driving out of the gate what they were up to the answer was predictably vague: “they’re assessing the damage from the fire, and that’s all they’ll tell us.” I’d certainly rather photograph the Blough unloading at Conneaut than the current situation, but it’s always fun getting the drone out and I’m glad you enjoyed the images!
Pat

Unread post by Pat »

It looked like there was a temporary generator and pumps on the deck that were used to pump out ballast water.

Unread post by Guest »

Perhaps they are salvaging more equipment. The labor cost for top side work in Conneaut are probably alot less than using the shipyard employees.

Just a guess.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Could potentially be salvaging internal fittings.
Darren

Blough observation

Unread post by Darren »

Just an observation on the photos of the roger blough in todays news page . There’s been talk about this vessel being scrapped . If that’s the case , why in one photo are there multiple people working on the deck and a lot of equipment being used too ? Seems like a lot of work being done for a vessel going to scrap. Btw really nice photos whoever took them!