Entry level position

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Entry level position

Unread post by Guest »

I wouldn’t read much into that remark. There is big turnover in entry level jobs on the lake boats. Depends on numerous factors. I sailed for companies that were supposedly bad and found those vessels much to my liking. Conversely I quit several boats from supposedly higher quality companies. While the industry isn’t what it was in the past it still offers opportunities for your grandson to check out. He may find a permanent birth on a ship n just love it or he may work temp jobs until get a steady berth. Sailing isn’t for everyone but for those who’s personality meshes it can be a good career. The drawback today is not as many jobs as years past so you can’t jump around. Take your assignment, learn work hard. As in most of life it’s what you make of it. He won’t know unless he tries. Good luck to him
Guest793

Unread post by Guest793 »

Thank you for the information, much appreciated.
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

Dimes worth of advice - if any place is "always hiring" its not generally a good sign.

Unread post by Guest »

Have him give Grand River a call, they are always hiring.
https://www.randlog.com/career-opportun ... a1a6a-3117
It doesn't take too long to get out in an entry level position.

Unread post by Guest »

Yeah good ole government red tape. It sure is a long drawn out mess these days. In the 70s I took my letter of employment to the coast guard office in Detroit. Was fingerprinted, sent to the old USHS hospital up Jefferson at Mt. Elliot, blood tests for food handlers certificate, back to the office swore under oath to the port lieutenant and walked out with my Z card for deck galley or engine room entry level jobs. One day process. Never forget the disgruntled civil servant processing the paperwork. He kept baiting me with, seems like the crews would be all set by aug. lol, I just smiled and said , well you know some people quit their jobs if they don’t like them. Oh did he pound the typewriter keys faster n harder. Good luck to your grandson. I hope he finds a ship and enjoys it.

Unread post by Guest »

The first step is to obtain a Merchant Mariner Credential. His process will take months.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchant_m ... redential/
Guest793

Entry level position

Unread post by Guest793 »

My 19 year old grandson would like to work a season on the lakes and perhaps pursue it as a career. Where or how would his journey begin?