Ryerson

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Ryerson

Unread post by Guest »

And where did this news come from? Reliable source or just rumor mill? Maybe Jerry from Duluth is correct. Maybe it will run, who knows? Maybe inspection for sale? I’m skeptical of the boilers conditions. Will certainly need lots of $ upgrades. Just wait n see as I said. When it’s under power to a loading dock then I’ll believe all the scuttlebutt. Before that? Just speculation

Unread post by Guest »

Mn bob wrote: January 13, 2023, 3:55 pm Are they planning on putting the ryerson in drydock? The reason I ask is the ryerson is going to be in the way of the other ships coming into Fraser shipyard. The lee a tregurtha is heading that way now for layup!
I’ve heard that there is a dry dock date set for mid March. With a fitout to follow.
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

Are they planning on putting the ryerson in drydock? The reason I ask is the ryerson is going to be in the way of the other ships coming into Fraser shipyard. The lee a tregurtha is heading that way now for layup!

Unread post by Guest »

I think it's important to keep in mind that unlike the older integrated mills that used iron ore, the EAFs have the option to use HBI, pig iron or scrap metal as their feedstock. That means that there is price competition between all three, and that if one is priced higher than the other, they can substitute as long as there is a reliable supply.

I read somewhere that 90% of scrap metal in the US is recycled, but the problem is the quality. Automotive scrap metal is recycled, but since it has paint,galvanization and other coatings, it's not as desirable. Steel discarded during the manufacturing process (i.e, stampings, bushings, turnings) are more desirable along with structural steel.

Unread post by Guest »

From the pictures, it looks like she was moved to the fit out dock at Frasers, like where the Anderson was moved before she was reactivated a few seasons ago.

Unread post by Guest »

Gortado wrote: January 12, 2023, 4:39 pm Has she been towed to drydock yet or was she just moved?
Just moved closer to dry dock.
Gortado

Unread post by Gortado »

Has she been towed to drydock yet or was she just moved?

Unread post by guest »

a high percentage of scrap is shipped via rail. trucks get some if the distance isnt too far {port colborne to nanticoke} and P.M.S. Mckeil and Purvis get some. railways go where marine cant

Unread post by Guest »

Wonder if this is figuring in the calculations -
"Nucor rolls first plate at new $1.7 billion steel mill"
https://www.nwitimes.com/business/local ... f2256.html

"Nucor invested $1.7 billion to build the mill, which can make 1.2 million tons of steel annually. It will be able to make 97% of the steel plate products consumed in the United States."

Mill is in Kentucky. Where are they going to get the raw material for this monster?
Guest1

Unread post by Guest1 »

What doesn't make sense to me about this rumor is that the current Cliff's management seems laser focused on pleasing investors by cutting costs. And Toledo, OH to Sault St. Marie, Ont is an international voyage. So if there is demand for a vessel just on that route, any shipping company in the world with an under-utilized Seaway-sized bulker can make the run. And there is no way a Jones-act compliant vessel could compete with the price a newer, but fully-depreciated foreign-flagged motor vessel with a small foreign-based crew could provide. Especially a 62 year old steamer.

Now if Cliffs is hoping to transition to electric arc furnaces or at least use hot briquetted iron at Cleveland, Dearborn, Burns Harbor or Indiana Harbor, then they would need a Jones-act compliant vessel, or carrier. But none of the current rumors seem to mention any other customer (external or internal) besides Algoma.

And don't forget that Nanticoke is now producing pig iron, another potential feed stock for electric arc furnaces. So HBI has to compete on price with both scrap metal and pig iron.

Unread post by Guest »

Interesting developments. Wonder what the numbers look like to activate the Ryerson and either accept the high fuel burn and crewing costs or the expense to repower in a US Shipyard.

Compare that to having a Canadian company go out and buy a similar sized used foreign built gearless bulker with a diesel motor. And then of course sail under the Canadian flag.

Unread post by Guest »

Once again Mr Link … well done! I know steel dynamics is using HBI in Butler IN n newcor in Crawfordsville. I’m told North Star/ blue scope in delta is to begin this year. Scrap is getting hard to source now with multiple electric furnace mini mills operating in the US. n pricing is volatile. I guess we wait n see about the ryerson.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Here is a timeline that Algoma put out a while ago for the phase in of the two new electric arc furnaces. As of last August, they said they were on schedule.

EAF's scheduled to come online in early or mid 2024, with Blast Furnace #7 staying in production into 2026.

They also made an agreement with a company to source steel scrap for the new EAF's, so any HBI or pig iron used must be able to compete with scrap prices or hope that there is insufficient scrap in the marketplace to feed the two new furnaces.
Attachments
Algoma EAF phase in .png

Unread post by Guest »

That was the question I raised. Hauling HBI for the new electric furnace at Algoma soo, still under central marine mgt. not sure the start up date for the furnace but I imagine if indeed the ryerson is coming out, questionable, it will be a lengthy refit.

Unread post by Guest »

So Cliffs will be in the business of hauling their own ore (or HBI) to a different steel company?
The boat would remain American flagged and operated by Central Marine Logistics?

Aren't they about a year too early in that the Algoma's EAF isn't complete?

Unread post by GUest »

Guys, not Algoma Central, ALGOMA STEEL.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: January 6, 2023, 7:10 pm why would algoma charter a aged steamer when the got rid of the ones they owned outright? and as far as the skipper is concerned the man you mentioned is now a marine pilot. i rather doubt he would give up his pilotage job to go back skipper only to be layed off some time in the future. im sure shes on the hit list for mrc in port colborne
Algoma might be trying to free a bottom currently hauling pellets to Hamilton for the more lucrative seaway runs. I would guess a Superior to Hamilton run for fast Eddie!

Unread post by Guest »

In an earlier thread, talk was that Edward L. Ryerson was going to be used to move DRI briquettes from Cliffs HBI plant in Toledo to Indiana Harbor, but maybe Algoma Steel at the Canadian Soo will be a customer for the HBI when they switch over to the Electric Arc Furnace they're building?

Will be interesting what they find when they put her on drydock - hopefully less pitting in the strakes then what the William A. Irvin and John Sherwin have.

Unread post by Guest »

Do you mean Algoma is chartering the Ryerson or do you mean she will haul the cliffs nuggets from Toledo to Algoma steel at the soo? New feed for the new electric furnace?

Unread post by Guest »

As far as know, Cptn. Eric Treece is now working for the pilots association on the lakes.