Last Ship of the Season (Welland Canal)

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Last Ship of the Season (Welland Canal)

Unread post by Guest »

Thank you cpfan and Denny for the information!

-Brian
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In part you are correct as I think Algoma Guardian was the last upbound Vessel at the Welland Canal, while fleetmate Algoma Mariner was the last downbound there as well. Sorry as I don’t have the dates for them. The Canal closed on January 8, 2023 one day sooner than the scheduled closing date of January 9th. I think this information you’re asking about may have been published in the Boatnerd News? Hope that this helps out.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Yes, the last ship to pass through the canal was Algoma Guardian. She left the dock in Hamilton about 23:00 on Jan 7, entered Port Weller piers @02:04 on Jan 8, and was out the Port Colborne piers @12:29. She was headed to Goderich. [Times based on her track on the Marine Traffic app.]

Two ships have since gone under bridge 21, but IMO that doesn't count.

Last Ship of the Season (Welland Canal)

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know what ship closed the navigation season at the Welland Canal and what the date was? The Boatnerd news is not quite clear as to the closing date or the vessel. Was it the Algoma Guardian? I like to keep my records updated for this type of information. Thanks.