H Lee White

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: H Lee White

Unread post by Guest »

She's now just sitting in the middle of lake erie not moving with a destination of Buffalo.

Unread post by Guest »

I believe he means the reduced crew sizes as compared to years ago.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Guest wrote: January 23, 2023, 5:10 pm While I am not sure of the total number of ballast tanks, they all have to be cleaned prior to a vessel entering drydock for the 5 year (now 6 years). This includes all the sand etc that has been sucked in when making ballast for the various cargos or weather conditions. It is a lot of material and it has to be done by hand. Those tanks are then inspected by ABS and USCG. Not alot of people onbaord anymore for this work. Yes the shipyard will offer to do it, for a fee. No great mystery.
Does that mean body size to get into confined space to do the work?

Unread post by Guest »

While I am not sure of the total number of ballast tanks, they all have to be cleaned prior to a vessel entering drydock for the 5 year (now 6 years). This includes all the sand etc that has been sucked in when making ballast for the various cargos or weather conditions. It is a lot of material and it has to be done by hand. Those tanks are then inspected by ABS and USCG. Not alot of people onbaord anymore for this work. Yes the shipyard will offer to do it, for a fee. No great mystery.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

H. Lee White is underway from Cockburn Island Sunday early afternoon. What might have been the reason or cause for such a long anchorage and clean up?
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

An earlier post said something about cleaning ballast tanks. Why would they anchor in such a desolate spot just clean ballast tanks? Personally, I suspect something more.

H Lee White

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know why the H Lee White has been anchored near Meldrum Bay for the last many days. They were north of Cockburn Is and are south of it now. There’s plenty of traffic traveling past and with à destination of Buffalo there’s loads of places to anchor closer if they had to wait for a dock