Fitz Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Fitz Question

Unread post by Guest »

How close was the Fitz to the shoal area?
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Scott wrote: January 29, 2023, 11:13 am
Jared wrote: January 28, 2023, 3:21 am
Guest wrote: January 26, 2023, 3:40 pm Realizing it is a mute point, I am curious as to knowing if 1 or 2 ballast tanks on the Fitzgerald were breached, could the water somehow find it's way into the cargo hold? I always thought ballast tanks were separate and basically watertight. The list the Fitzgerald reported is very possibly related to taking on water through breaching of ballast tanks. I've never bought the ineffective hatch closure theory by the NTSB/Coast Guard.
Of course, if a stress fracture occurred, then it's basically a mortal wound.
We don't know if the tanks were breached or not. There are 8 ballast tanks per side of the vessel. 2 vents for 2 ballast tanks on the sides and and 3 single vents for the walkway tunnel underneath the deck per side.

Please keep the questions technical, factual, and to the point as the mods dread these threads dealing with the Fitzgerald as arguments become quite intensive and emotional for some.

Simplified-General-Arrangement-Sketch-of-the-Edmund-Fitzgerald_Q640.jpg
Don't know if the ballast tanks were breached? Looks like someone isn't buying into the entire list of the Fitzgerald theory. How else would that amount of lake water (enough to cause a list) get into the holds? Faulty hatch clamping? Not! To me, it's obvious that there was a hull breach after the Fitz passed near or over six fathom shoal. It was after this point that McSorely called in his list and fence rails down. I guess the hatch clamps gave out at that point? The Fitz was also running to Whitefish with 2 ballast pumps working to pump out the water pouring into her. That was unsuccessful. We can speculate all we like about the demise of the Fitz, but at least make it believable.
The only thing I know and believe is that she filled up with water. You can look at my prior posts on what I speculate.

Unread post by Guest »

After all these years and what we do know about the Fitzgerald sinking, I can see why the boat sank. The perfect storm. Too many things were stacked against her. Running with a reduced freeboard, taking on water, and 25+ foot seas, the vessel simply could not stay buoyant any longer. The weight of green water on deck caused hatch covers to fail and sudden and catastrophic flooding of the cargo hold sent her to the bottom. A truly fascinating and compelling saga.

Unread post by Guest »

The captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald when asked if he had his pumps on, he said both of them. So the water was coming into the ship from somewhere - it could have been a stress fracture or damage from passing/touching the shoal. He was pumping water but by the time he talked to one of the saltwater vessels, he reported it as a "bad list". That seems to imply that the water was coming in faster than it could be pumped, and that may mean it was getting into the cargohold, but we don't know.

We can never confirm what happened one way or the other. And everytime the Fitzgerald wreckage is explored, you have more questions than answers.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Jared wrote: January 28, 2023, 3:21 am
Guest wrote: January 26, 2023, 3:40 pm Realizing it is a mute point, I am curious as to knowing if 1 or 2 ballast tanks on the Fitzgerald were breached, could the water somehow find it's way into the cargo hold? I always thought ballast tanks were separate and basically watertight. The list the Fitzgerald reported is very possibly related to taking on water through breaching of ballast tanks. I've never bought the ineffective hatch closure theory by the NTSB/Coast Guard.
We don't know if the tanks were breached or not. There are 8 ballast tanks per side of the vessel. 2 vents for 2 ballast tanks on the sides and and 3 single vents for the walkway tunnel underneath the deck per side.

Please keep the questions technical, factual, and to the point as the mods dread these threads dealing with the Fitzgerald as arguments become quite intensive and emotional for some.

Don't know if the ballast tanks were breached? Looks like someone isn't buying into the entire list of the Fitzgerald theory. How else would that amount of lake water (enough to cause a list) get into the holds? Faulty hatch clamping? Not! To me, it's obvious that there was a hull breach after the Fitz passed near or over six fathom shoal. It was after this point that McSorely called in his list and fence rails down. I guess the hatch clamps gave out at that point? The Fitz was also running to Whitefish with 2 ballast pumps working to pump out the water pouring into her. That was unsuccessful. We can speculate all we like about the demise of the Fitz, but at least make it believable.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

When asked by the captain of the Anderson He replied that he had two ballast pumps working. He was not pumping the cargo hold
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Fitz Question

Unread post by Guest »

Realizing it is a mute point, I am curious as to knowing if 1 or 2 ballast tanks on the Fitzgerald were breached, could the water somehow find it's way into the cargo hold? I always thought ballast tanks were separate and basically watertight. The list the Fitzgerald reported is very possibly related to taking on water through breaching of ballast tanks. I've never bought the ineffective hatch closure theory by the NTSB/Coast Guard.