3.Maj Ship for Algoma

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
algowest

Re: 3.Maj Ship for Algoma

Unread post by algowest »

Excellent.
Also, hulls 527-529 are the 740' Self-Unloaders with fwd booms.
Hull 527 is the one contracted for completion at this time.

Unread post by Guest »

After doing some research on the internet I came across the following:

Hull 733 is Algoma Intrepid (originally planned to be Algoma Endurance)

Hull 732 is Algoma Innovator.
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

Here is the Sea News report that was reported on Boatnerd.
https://seenews.com/news/croatias-3-maj ... oma-768830

The date on this news item is January 11, 2022 not 2023 as reported. This is the same ship that was reported to be being built at this time last year, thus the confusion as to how many vessels are currently ordered from Croatia. It appears it is just one and this is old news.
Paul_b

Unread post by Paul_b »

hi this is mabye the bear facts article
https://www.readkong.com/page/bear-facts-4888130
algowest

Jamie-
Algoma Endurance was the planned name for Intrepid, before the financial issues affected shipyard and contracts canceled.
Then, after agreement made on restart and completion, the name changed from Endurance to Intrepid. I also recall seeing some hull fabrication pictures, showing sections of hull being assembled together for this latest S-U, before it was canceled, and now restarted.
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

Very confusing. Hull 527 I believe was originally called the Algoma Endurance and was a 740ft forward mounted self unloading vessel. I thought they also ordered one to be delivered from Croatia in 2023 of the same specs. I see below someone referred to it as Hull 529. I can not find anything on this Hull other than Algoma's original announcement. They also have the Algoma Bear coming from China in 2024. So the question is, do they have 1 or 2 vessels coming from Croatia?

Unread post by Guest »

Nope, not a 650 but rather a 740'. Shortly after Algoma signed the original contract for 2 650's they signed one for three additional 740's with forward unloading gear. There are pictures in some of the BearFacts newsletters from Algoma of the Intrepid and two of the 740's in various stages of construction next to it. I believe the second and third hulls we're scrapped. I don't remember which BearFacts it was in but it was somewhere in the 2017-2018 time range.
algowest

This ship being completed is a 740 S-U with bow mounted boom. Believe hull number 527. Ship was 1/3 complete when yard had financial trouble and Algoma canceled contract

Unread post by Guest »

If I remember correctly Algoma Central ordered three 650 foot vessels from 3 Maj in Croatia a few years ago, but the bankruptcy of the yard complicated their construction and Algoma Central cancelled their orders. It's very, very confusing. They did sign a contract for Hull 529 back in January of 2022, but trying to find information is hampered by lack thereof and their website has only a front page and nothing else.

If someone has a playbook (so to speak) that can help to straighten out this confusion from 3.Maj, that would be great.

Checking Transport Canada's ship registry website does not indicate a new self-unloader has been registered at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yes I believe it will be another 650 foot long vessel built for Algoma with a forward mounted unloading boom similar to what the Innovator and the Intrepid have now. It will be interesting to see what name they come up with and choose for the new vessel. Since they gone with the letter "I" for both the Innovator and Intrepid I wonder if they will use the letter I on the new build in Croatia or come up with something else? Time will tell on that one.

3.Maj Ship for Algoma

Unread post by Guest »

I noticed the news item on Boatnerd a couple days ago that Algoma has given 3.Maj in Croatia the go-ahead to finish construction of another ship for them. Is this another 650?