New Builds

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: New Builds

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: February 28, 2023, 5:14 pm It is just a shame that the ship builds are not built in Canada with Canada steel
and shipyards.
We are losing the trade of shipbuilding, When are we going to wake up
from the mines, steel mills, shipyards and all the trickle down business.
They aren't going to be serving under the Canadian flag so why should they be Canadian built?

Unread post by Guest »

It is just a shame that the ship builds are not built in Canada with Canada steel
and shipyards.
We are losing the trade of shipbuilding, When are we going to wake up
from the mines, steel mills, shipyards and all the trickle down business.
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

I believe the combined total number of ocean ships for the CSL / Algoma group is in the neighborhood of 45...an impressive number.
Syd bc

Unread post by Syd bc »

I remember the Argyle Think she was a converted tanker Then it was the Isle de Sedros Now its the Bouna Ventura But the pattern is the same Usually lightering to barges then going up to Canexus (was Hooker)

Unread post by Guest »

jim gallant wrote: February 21, 2023, 1:45 am in 2007 i was on a cruise ship going south to mexico. we met a northbound CSL. it was a self unloader, too far to read the name but it had CSL on the hull and black white and red funnel. perhaps carrying salt from mexico to b.c.?
Saw the Algoma Vision at Port Canaveral Florida last week unloading stone into a hopper.
jim gallant

Unread post by jim gallant »

sydbc in the 70s the salt boat was the ss argyle registered in glasgow, scotland. she had to be lightered before she could dock. if i remember correctly she unloaded at hooker chemicals in north van. also i think seaspan use to bring in salt from mexico on 2 large barges towed in tandem by a large tug, if im not mistake one of the barges is on the great lakes named "ironmaster"
Syd BC

Unread post by Syd BC »

CSL at one time had 5 self unloaders on the west coast Don’t know how many now They don’t often come to Vancouver But they carry a lot of stone from Sechelt just up the coast and Port McNeil northern Vancouver island A lot of the stone goes to the Bay Area in California We do have a salt ship the Buona Ventura that comes up regularly from Mexico
jim gallant

Unread post by jim gallant »

in 2007 i was on a cruise ship going south to mexico. we met a northbound CSL. it was a self unloader, too far to read the name but it had CSL on the hull and black white and red funnel. perhaps carrying salt from mexico to b.c.?
CSLFAN

New Builds

Unread post by CSLFAN »

Boatnerd News February 19, 2023 states CSL Group / Algoma Central have placed an order for 4 SU ocean ships - 2 for each company to replace older ships. I saw a CSL SU leaving San Francisco Bay headed for the ocean a few days ago....looked to be empty and too far out for a name....both companies are truly larger than the Great Lakes.