American spirit

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
FWE

Re: American spirit

Unread post by FWE »

yes JERRY, I knew others involved with the “Great Heist” of a 1000 footer. AmShip-Lorain was in big labor issues and workers took it out ( sadly) on any vessel berthed within the yard, been going a for a couple of years prior to 78, and off the STINSON left for Detroit ( i believe Nicholsons) for finishing fit-out and commissioning .

Unread post by Guest »

This article from November 25, 1978 mentions the sabotage:
Stinson_sabotage_.jpg

Unread post by Guest »

The labor dispute was between the ship yard and the workers. The ship was to be turned around to complete the fit out of the vessel. When clear of the yard, the tugs kept going and they towed the vessel up to Detroit and completed the work there.
JERRY

Unread post by Guest »

It usually only takes a couple days to break an engine in. Must be another issue.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: May 16, 2023, 10:56 pm Not directly related to the American Spirit operating at reduced speeds but does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumors that made the rounds during the late 1970s and through the 1980s that this vessel, originally named George A. Stinson, had several problems stemming from labor issues at American Ship Building during its construction. If I recall correctly, there was mention of things like unnecessary piping leading to nowhere being found in the vessel. Maybe it was just a rumor from way back then.
Yes, there is truth to the allegations of vandalism being done to the then George A. Stinson. There was an ad in one of the local papers asking for information on those responsible for the damage and a $10,000 reward for their conviction. I have a copy of the ad, and I'll upload an image of the ad to this page later today. Damage was also done to the Walter A. Sterling.

Brian

Unread post by Guest »

Not directly related to the American Spirit operating at reduced speeds but does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumors that made the rounds during the late 1970s and through the 1980s that this vessel, originally named George A. Stinson, had several problems stemming from labor issues at American Ship Building during its construction. If I recall correctly, there was mention of things like unnecessary piping leading to nowhere being found in the vessel. Maybe it was just a rumor from way back then.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

The American Spirit is on their 4th trip and still hasn't surpassed 10kns yet
Joe2343

Unread post by Joe2343 »

Engine was fixed, doing a proper break. Gradually bring up speed
Mn bob

American spirit

Unread post by Mn bob »

Last year the American spirit was running on one engine for most of the year did they not fix the engine during winter layup? I see that they are going as slow across Lake Superior today as they were last year when they were running on one engine.