Roger blough

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared

Re: Roger blough

Unread post by Jared »

I wouldn't call her a hard luck boat. She has served almost 50 years and was a trend setter when it came to the footers that followed a few years later. Most ships have some sort of casualty or dark spot on their records. A lot litter the bottom because of it, but the Blough has served her time. There was no way for her to be preserved or real reason for it anyways. The Anderson, Alpena, Jackson, Oberstar, Calloway, Clarke, Cayuga, and any other fore enders will meet the same end sometime in the near future too.
Mn bob

Roger blough

Unread post by Mn bob »

Just watched a very cool short tribute video of the Roger blough on you tube, this beautiful ship has been plagued with hard luck since it was built. First an engine room fire that delayed the launch a year, then the loss of the rudder in the st Mary’s river, a hard grounding in 2015 then the engine room fire at sturgeon bay during layup which sealed the fate of this ship. It’s always been one of my favorites and it will be a very hard loss when she gets towed across Lake Erie to port colborne for scrapping. We have lost a lot of the classic lakers over the years to the scrap yards but most of those ships had served their time at sea and were ready to be retired. It seems this ship has been cheated out of her time to serve the industry due to lack of cargo or mishaps. The ship to the naked eye looks like she could sail another 30 to 40 years but I know there is a lot of internal damage that a person can’t see that adds up to a lot of money to fix her. I wish that I had a boat load of money no pun intended, I would purchase her and bring her to Duluth and turn the ship into a bed and breakfast. There are literally tons of people that would pay to experience a nights stay on a ship and eat what the crew did for years.