Cuyahoga

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
badger

Re: Cuyahoga

Unread post by badger »

the tug thomas a. payette was sold by LLT to nadro marine who sold it to mckeil {who now owns nadro} and was renamed wyatt m. i assume they still own it. the barge techumse to my know is now owned by purvis marine is at the purvis west yard by the export dock. the reason LLT has TOWING in the co. name thats how thet got started in business in 1994.

Unread post by Guest »

The news article stated that the CUYAHOGA will have her 5 year survey while being repaired. I thought the boat had to be taken out of the water for that inspection.
clarkjol

Unread post by clarkjol »

LLT/GRN, did not have a tug or tugs in the manner in which you asked the question. The company started with a tug/barge combination, THOMAS A. PAYETTE and the barge TECUMSEH, and have had several tug/barge combinations in the past.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: June 7, 2023, 6:47 pm
guest wrote: June 7, 2023, 9:59 am i notice in the photos of the cuyahoga that there is no "towing line" painted on the bow. is this because some of the crew will be on board?
In looking at the photograph of the Cuyahoga by Earl Minnis on the June 7, 2023, Port Reports page, it looks like there is something white near the waterline at the bow and another white object near or at the waterline about 20 feet further aft. I don't know if these are the typical markings applied to a ship for a dead tow or not as the dock & spiles are interfering with the view of the very forward part of the bow. So there may in fact be these markings applied, in which case it is most likely the vessel will be towed with few individuals aboard if any.
Right after I posted this last night, I noticed another picture of the Cuyahoga from astern with the two tugs awaiting to tow it to Ashtabula that there is a white stripe painted on the rudder. So I would believe that it will be towed dead ship with only a handful of crew onboard if any. It is kind of interensting that McKeil tugs will be involved, seeing as how that company is a direct competitor to LLT in the bulk trades.

As a furhter point, did Lower Lakes Towing ever own or operate any tugboats of its own?

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: June 7, 2023, 9:59 am i notice in the photos of the cuyahoga that there is no "towing line" painted on the bow. is this because some of the crew will be on board?
In looking at the photograph of the Cuyahoga by Earl Minnis on the June 7, 2023, Port Reports page, it looks like there is something white near the waterline at the bow and another white object near or at the waterline about 20 feet further aft. I don't know if these are the typical markings applied to a ship for a dead tow or not as the dock & spiles are interfering with the view of the very forward part of the bow. So there may in fact be these markings applied, in which case it is most likely the vessel will be towed with few individuals aboard if any.

Unread post by Guest »

My guess is probably because it still has asset value on the balance sheet. Little cost for them to keep it at their shipyard.

Unread post by Guest »

Geest wrote: June 6, 2023, 9:40 am If they own a repair business in Ashtabula, why not repair the Tecumseh which also suffered an engine room fire and has been there idle for years? Seems odd considering the Ojibway is gone and now its just the one vessel doing their seaway grain runs.
I wonder why they are holding on to the Tecumseh. Could the smaller size of the vessel make it attractive to hold on to if any new business would develop that would not require a maximum sized laker?

Unread post by guest »

i notice in the photos of the cuyahoga that there is no "towing line" painted on the bow. is this because some of the crew will be on board?

Unread post by Guest »

Geest wrote: June 6, 2023, 9:40 am If they own a repair business in Ashtabula, why not repair the Tecumseh which also suffered an engine room fire and has been there idle for years? Seems odd considering the Ojibway is gone and now its just the one vessel doing their seaway grain runs.
They lost most of the contracts for those boats to McKeil. Only enough business to keep the Kami going on the bulker runs so why put another ship in service.

Unread post by guest »

mckeil marine did pick up grain cargos that LLT use to have. without mentioning any names the person who was the big man at LLT is now in the same postion at mckeil. and he still lives in dover
rburdick27

Unread post by rburdick27 »

Didn’t McKeil pick up grain cargoes?
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

If they own a repair business in Ashtabula, why not repair the Tecumseh which also suffered an engine room fire and has been there idle for years? Seems odd considering the Ojibway is gone and now its just the one vessel doing their seaway grain runs.
clarkjol

Unread post by clarkjol »

Conneaut Creek Ship Repair
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yes indeed, Rand does own a business in Ashtabula! That’s part of why you see many of their vessels in layup there during the Winter. It used to be years ago, you would often see LLT/GRN vessels from Rand layup in Sarnia. Not so much now anymore as Ashtabula with Rand’s business there seems to be the place for them now.

Unread post by Guest »

badger wrote: June 5, 2023, 8:53 am yes the molly m1 is heading for kingsville to tow the cayahoga to ashtabula bot dont forget that the mv tecumseh was also towed to ashtabula after her fire and nothing has been done to her since. does not rand own a repair business there? convenient place to park unused vessels.
Employees at the repair business say she's going there for repairs. The MV CUYAHOGA is a self-unloader that they just put a ton of money into last winter. She's not done yet.
David S

Unread post by David S »

The tug Ecosse in the area where they had to cut Cuyahoga's anchor free, possible trying to recover it.
badger

Unread post by badger »

yes the molly m1 is heading for kingsville to tow the cayahoga to ashtabula bot dont forget that the mv tecumseh was also towed to ashtabula after her fire and nothing has been done to her since. does not rand own a repair business there? convenient place to park unused vessels.

Unread post by Guest »

ashland69 wrote: June 4, 2023, 2:59 pm
Guest wrote: June 3, 2023, 7:33 am
Guest wrote: June 2, 2023, 10:48 pm There will eventually be a Canada transport report. Regardless of who the owner is on paper, it’s a Canadian registered vessel and the fire occurred in Canadian waters. Ownership, stockholders, investments firms, etc. all interesting reading that in the end changes nothing. It’s an 80 yr old ship that’s sailed hundreds of thousands of miles and hauled millions of tons of cargo. Plum worn out. Even before the fire it was very close to retirement. My bet is it goes to Ashtabula then Pt colborne. Owners take the hit of lost revenue but charge off the by now low value asset on the balance sheet. Reduced cargo volumes, higher expenses, more environmental rules, restrictions etc. fleets will continue to shrink on the Great Lakes.
She's going to Ashtabula for repairs.
It's Sunday afternoon about 4pm and I see the MOLLY M is enroute to the canal from Hamilton area. Could she be enroute to Kingsville to take the CUYAHOGA to Ashtabula for repairs?
That's correct.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Guest wrote: June 3, 2023, 7:33 am
Guest wrote: June 2, 2023, 10:48 pm There will eventually be a Canada transport report. Regardless of who the owner is on paper, it’s a Canadian registered vessel and the fire occurred in Canadian waters. Ownership, stockholders, investments firms, etc. all interesting reading that in the end changes nothing. It’s an 80 yr old ship that’s sailed hundreds of thousands of miles and hauled millions of tons of cargo. Plum worn out. Even before the fire it was very close to retirement. My bet is it goes to Ashtabula then Pt colborne. Owners take the hit of lost revenue but charge off the by now low value asset on the balance sheet. Reduced cargo volumes, higher expenses, more environmental rules, restrictions etc. fleets will continue to shrink on the Great Lakes.
She's going to Ashtabula for repairs.
It's Sunday afternoon about 4pm and I see the MOLLY M is enroute to the canal from Hamilton area. Could she be enroute to Kingsville to take the CUYAHOGA to Ashtabula for repairs?
David S

Unread post by David S »

CSLFAN wrote: June 2, 2023, 10:06 pm Between finding out who actually owns Cuyahoga and the actual extent of the fire damage we may never get an answer unless there is a Transportation Board report....Anybody out there got eyes on Cuyahoga for any activity....there was mentioned Rand stockholders in a previous post...the stock was listed at $0.03 at the time of the bankruptcy....no stockholder concerns there.
they just finished welding a toweye piece on her bow and painted 2 white level lines at the water's edge on the bow........so it means she's getting ready for a tug to tow her away.