Cason J. Callaway & J. L. Mauthe 1992 video

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Cason J. Callaway & J. L. Mauthe 1992 video

Unread post by Guest »

I viewed that video a long time ago. It was definitely hyped in my opinion. While the actions of the Callaways captain were not common these days it appeared he had full control of his vessel. Still, it could have easily turned ugly. In the days of lots of ship traffic it was common to overtake n pass slower vessels in the lower part of the Detroit river, especially south of fighting island abreast Mama Juda reef down to the entrance of the Livingston channel at ballards reef. Channel is wide in that area. However in my career I never passed nor witnessed any passing in the Detroit river light channel as the Callaway did. Present traffic volumes seldom see any such overtaking in the river.

Cason J. Callaway & J. L. Mauthe 1992 video

Unread post by Guest »

I was wondering if anyone had any comments concerning this video from 1992 in which the Cason J. Callaway and J. L. Mauthe appear to come very close together while nearing the Detroit River. I seem to recall the poster of this video used this incident in one of his books from that period and was interested in other opinions about what went on in the video. Is this something that commonly happens? It seems like it is being hyped up as a near disaster and was just interested in what others that are more knowledgeable about the Rules of the Road and lake ship navigation might think about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WODm4rpqdcw