CTC 1

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: CTC 1

Unread post by guest »

it probably isnt worth the expernse to have it towed to port colborne, shes probaby stuck to the bottom. when rand sells the compant it will be the new owners headache.
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

I believe GRN still claims it as theirs in official filings. Its not worth much more than scrap, so I would guess they are trying to get a local scrapper to take it rather than trying to move it to MRC

Unread post by Guest »

I recall the reports of the "impending" removal of the CTC#1 a few years ago, but obviously that never happened. I too question the cost of keeping it docked at its present location, would have thought it may have been towed to Ashtabula if not to the scrappers since its purchase by GRN. I highly doubt it will ever return to service, although it may be attractive as a cement barge conversion of the hull is in good shape. I would imagine even that would be doubtful however. I recall comments by one of the port directors on the Calumet River claiming at the the time the original stories of the CTC#1 going to scrap about how the vessel's removal would beautify the area. I think it would take much more than the towing away of the CTC#1 to accomplish that.

CTC 1

Unread post by Guest »

Any info on the CTC 1 abandoned in Chicago? Boat has been there forever and last rumor was it had been slated for tow to scrapper. This was a few years back but nothing since. I remember see asbestos being an issue, with cost. Also talk was getting it fit for duty citing a still decent hull. Never happened. Small length, re-powering, and alleged self unloading conversion seemed a far-fetched idea. There has to be cost for dock face use, any idea of what that costs? Any credible news is appreciated. Still on the books at Rand/ LLT?