US Steel fleet Port of Registry

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Edl

Re: US Steel fleet Port of Registry

Unread post by Edl »

I believe that the Speer still has New York painted on its stern unless that was changed just recently.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: January 16, 2024, 9:49 am Was this done when USS created Great Lakes Fleet in the early 1980s (1981 I believe) to compete more directly for outside contracts rather than remaining focused on its internal material movement requirements?
That's correct, U.S. Steel in the Summer of 1981 formed USS Great Lakes Fleet, whereby the fleet became a common carrier which provided services to outside customers beyond U.S. Steel and their affiliates. I believe the change in port was done at the start of the 1982 season, when the ships received the USS Great Lakes Fleet writing on their bows.

Unread post by guest »

along the sale ideal lower lakes towing vessels use to say nanticoke on the stern, now its port dover. who made the change, the government or the company? i realize its all the same but why the confusion? keep things simple.

Unread post by Guest »

Was this done when USS created Great Lakes Fleet in the early 1980s (1981 I believe) to compete more directly for outside contracts rather than remaining focused on its internal material movement requirements?

US Steel fleet Port of Registry

Unread post by Guest »

When did the Port of Registry for the US Steel fleet change from New York to Duluth? The very nice picture of the Sewell Avery from 1980 in the Jan 13 "This Day In History" page shows New York as the Port of Registry. The photo on this site of the Avery being turned into a dock shows Duluth, though it looks like a paint over job.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/media/se ... ery.34378/

I'm assuming that the Port of Registry was not changed on the stern after the Avery way laid up in 1981. (Though maybe it was if there was a thought that it might sail again.)