1000 Footer in Fraser Shipyard

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mn bob

Re: 1000 Footer in Fraser Shipyard

Unread post by Mn bob »

Your right the presque isle and Stewart j cort were both in fraser shipyard over The last few years. I forgot about that. Also the Roger blough was also in fraser but not a 1000 footer

Unread post by Guest »

Didn't Stewart J Cort make a visit to Fraser Shipyards in recent years as well?

Unread post by Guest »

The Presque Isle spent several months at Fraser in 2022 undergoing engine repairs.

Unread post by Guest »

The James R. Barker made a trip to Fraser Shipyards in the October of 1983 to have rudder work work done.

I guess all vestiges of the old Butler Shipyard are long gone, so that has provided space for the new dock wall?

Unread post by guest »

We backed in on the Foy in 1989 Phil Fitch was captain. His son was on the wheel while we were busy taking down antennas, look at the Integrity's after mast you will see it is hinged we had to cut it down to get under the bridge and when they rewelded it they put a hinge in for low bridges.
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

It’s very unusual to see a 1000 footer in fraser shipyard it only happened one other time that I’m aware of and I think it was the burns harbor that went in there several years ago. I remember that they just fit under the bridge and I vaguely recall that they hit some antennas or something when they went under the bridge. I don’t know why they are putting a 1000 footer in there they usually lay up at the port terminal where there is a lot of dock space.
guesty

Unread post by guesty »

Starting around 2015 they did a lot of filling, dredging, and dock wall construction. They now have about 1700 feet of uninterrupted, straight dock wall. I think state funds were used for some of this work, to encourage more and larger vessels to lay up there.
Darryl1

1000 Footer in Fraser Shipyard

Unread post by Darryl1 »

The Interlake 1000 Footer is in Fraser Shipyard in Superior. I can't think of when I saw another 1000 footer in there. Maybe 10 years ago. Pretty rare occurrence.