Fitout and First trips for 2024

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Fitout and First trips for 2024

Unread post by Denny »

Lots of Fit Out News to report. So let’s get right to it then! The John J. Boland departed layup in Superior and went up to Two Harbors. Both the Speer and the Gott have left their layups in Toledo today, March 21 and are now out sailing. The Presque Isle departed from their layup in Erie, Pennsylvania today to begin their season. At the Welland Canal, it looks as though the Algoma Sault will be the first vessel of the season to transit at least then at Lock 3 tomorrow where they should be receiving the Top Hat Award for first ship arrival at Lock 3. That’s all the news I have for you all at this time. Will update more when I can.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The 2024 Fit Outs are keeping me busy boatnerds! I can’t keep doing this all the time as my health and well being are the most important thing more than anything else right now. As of 2:45 p.m. on March 21 I am seeing on AIS Maps these movements. First off in Superior the American Spirit departed layup there and went to the fuel dock in Duluth. Two of the McKeil vessels at least that I’m aware of departed from layup. Today, the Harvest Spirit left from Windsor and upbound as of this message and typing now. The Florence Spirit arrived today at Zug Island in Detroit to load Coke. I don’t know when they left layup probably in the last day or two? Were they in Erie for layup? Also, Algoma Sault is now on Lake Ontario. I think they laid up in Hamilton with a grain storage cargo. That’s all that I have for you all at this time. I’ll try and do my best to keep this thread and all of you updated as best as I can but again, my health and well being though always comes first!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of 7 PM on March 20, the Indiana Harbor is upbound in Detroit near Zug Island at this time. The Baie Comeau is at the CN Ore Dock in Duluth at this time loading. They are the first official vessel movement for 2024 at the Twin Ports of Duluth-Superior. Also, over on Lake Michigan the Joseph L. Block has departed its lay up at Sturgeon Bay with an AIS destination of Two Harbors listed. That’s all the Fit-Out news I have at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of 2:00;p.m. EDT on March 20, the Baie Comeau of Canada Steamship Lines or CSL if you will have left from their lay up at the Port Terminal in Duluth to begin their 2024 season. This would I think be the Twin Ports of Duluth-Superior’s first official Vessel movement for the 2024 shipping season? Also, the American Spirit has Two Harbors listed as their next destination due up there this evening to load. The Speer and the Gott both for the moment remain laid up in Toledo for now. That’s all the Fit-Out news I have for now then.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

More Fit Out news boatnerds! As of 1:10 p.m. EDT on March 20, both the Edgar B. Speer along with the Edwin H. Gott appear to have departed or will be departing soon from their Winter Lay Ups inToledo respectively. Neither one has yet to update their AIS but I’m sure that will soon change once they have departed from Toledo. Also, Indiana Harbor is still upbound and on Lake Erie as of 1:10 p.m. EDT on March 20 as well. That’s all I have now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of now at 9:15 a.m. on March 20, the Indiana Harbor is upbound on Lake Erie having just departed Ashtabula and lay up with a destination of Two Harbors listed. Let the 2024 shipping season, the fun and games begin everyone. And Happy Spring as well to you all!
Denny

Fitout and First trips for 2024

Unread post by Denny »

The tug and barge combo Olive L. Moore and barge Menominee departed layup in Toledo on March 17. From Marine Traffic AIS maps, it appears they are loading now in Brevort. Anyone confirm if this is correct or not? Also, it was mentioned in Today’s Port Reports the Dirk S. VanEnkevort and Michigan Trader departed layup and headed to Toledo? Again can anyone confirm this information is correct? Also, what is the Dirk S. VanEnkevort and the Michigan Trader doing in Toledo loading coal for somewhere?