Seaway 2024 Openings and Top Hats

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Seaway 2024 Openings and Top Hats

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that information Algowest much appreciated. I recall now and remember the NACC Quebec only traveling up as far as Cote Ste. Catherine I believe it was? Also recall and remember the Algoma Harvester going up the Seaway as well but, just didn’t know who was the official “first boat of 2024 at St. Lambert Lock in Montreal as there was NO media coverage or anything ever said or mentioned which was truly surprising as it seems there’s always media coverage of the opening every year in Montreal at St. Lambert Lock. So, did the NACC Quebec get anything as far as first ship at St. Lambert or did that award go to the Algoma Harvester? I have not seen any new Mariatown Vessel Passages yet for 2024 so far posted by Ron Beaupre and others! I’m sure at some point there will be a list posted by Ron as he’s always done his reports every year and I enjoy his reports along with following and tracking vessels through that part of the Seaway. Ron’s reports sure did help me out last year big time! Sorry to go off topic here. Thanks again for your help Algowest.
algowest

Re: Seaway 2024 Openings and Top Hats

Unread post by algowest »

Denny-
From Facebook Page "Seaway News - Voie Maritime":
For St. Lambert Lock:

1st Upbound: NACC Quebec
1st Downbound: McKeil Tug Vigilant w/barge

1st (Laker) Upbound: Algoma Harvester
Denny

Seaway 2024 Openings and Top Hats

Unread post by Denny »

In reading the articles and seeing the photos posted of this year’s 2024 Welland Canal openings at Locks 3 and 8 and at the Soo Locks, I have a few questions. First, who took the honors as the first ship at the St. Lambert Lock in Montreal? Second, why has there not been anything posted on this event or photos? Was the ship a Canadian vessel or foreign flagged vessel? Isn’t there a “Top Hat ceremony for first ship to transit the St. Lambert Lock in Montreal every year?” I would’ve thought that there would have been more said and mentioned on this event! Yes, I’m well aware the Algoma Sault took the Top Hat and honors for first ship at Lock 3 of the Welland Canal and the Algoma Conveyor got that same award as first ship at Lock 8 of the Welland Canal. The Joseph L. Block I know was the first ship through the Soo Locks for 2024 however and again, there was never anything that was posted said or mentioned as far as first ship or photos at the St. Lambert Lock this year in Montreal. If anyone knows and can provide any information it would be appreciated here. Thanks in advance.