Hall Corporation Tanker Strange Stack Markings

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest

Hall Corporation Tanker Strange Stack Markings

Unread post by Guest »

While looking at a website today, I caught a glimpse of the stern of a Hall Corporation tanker in photograph dated 1979 that looks to have been taken while the vessel was docked at Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I have attached a small screen capture here. As can be seen the bottom of the stack appears to be painted red. I know that some of the Hall Corporation, or Halco, ships did have multicolor stacks rather than just the dark blue or black with white lettering, with many have a light blue shade of paint at the base below the company's white "wishbone" striping. This one is, however, clearly has a red base which does not appear to be the darker brown color of primer commonly seen when vessels are being repainted. I was wondering if anyone knew as to the reason why such a color scheme was applied to this ship, which appears to be possibly the James Transport or Industrial Transport. I apologize for the low quality of the image but the best I could get from a screen grab.
Screenshot 2026-09-30 123618.png
Screenshot 2026-09-30 123618.png (43.51 KiB) Viewed 65 times