Great Lakes Red Books

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
fireman12
Posts: 245
Joined: October 26, 2010, 2:12 pm
Location: Canada`a Ocean Playground

Re: Great Lakes Red Books

Unread post by fireman12 »

Occasionally you will get lucky and find a bunch of Red Books for auction or buy it now on ebay . Just was a run of them there not too long ago . There are Sellers at ebay who find and buy collections , then put them out for bidding . You could get lucky that way .
LaFlamme
Posts: 3
Joined: June 9, 2011, 3:01 pm

Re: Great Lakes Red Books

Unread post by LaFlamme »

Hello everyone
I have just joined this very interesting site, and having sailed on the Great Lakes, I am curious to learn more.
For example, what are the Red Books? Do I assume correctly from your comments that they used to list personnel manning the ships? That would be great, I could find out who I worked with (that was in the 1960's, so I have forgotten most of the names of the guys I worked with.)
spb
Posts: 11
Joined: August 10, 2010, 2:48 pm

Re: Great Lakes Red Books

Unread post by spb »

I have copies of all thru 1990 (the ones after that are useless).

What information do you need?
Russ

Re: Great Lakes Red Books

Unread post by Russ »

The first year for the Red Book was 1899. At that time, it was called "The Little Red Book". I have xerox copies of the issues from 1899 - 1924 and 1926 -1952. I have the little pocket format for all the others 1952 - 1990 and 1994 and 1995. The last 6 - 8 issues are not very useful because no personel assignments are given.
ashland69
Posts: 597
Joined: March 13, 2010, 4:34 pm

Re: Great Lakes Red Books

Unread post by ashland69 »

I believe the first issue was in 1898 and I think under a slightly different name. The Red Book we know, first came out in 1903. I've got one from 1908 and everything from 1939 onwards to the mid-80s.
captkirk

Great Lakes Red Books

Unread post by captkirk »

In what year were the Great Lakes Red Books first published? I would like to chat with someone who has a collection or access to one.
Post Reply