Page 1 of 1

Re: Postcard I.D.

Posted: January 28, 2016, 7:21 pm
by Guest
Guest wrote:Possibly the Sir Thomas Shaughnessy while in the Mohawk Navigation fleet? I'm away from my research materials at home, so its just a guess, but it looks like the front of the bow may be painted green along with the name board. In addition the name, although unreadable, appears to take up the whole length of the name board.
After getting home, I think I can provide proof of this being the Sir Thomas Shaughnessy with the attached postcard that was probably taken at the same time. It shows the vessel about to enter the MacArthur Lock upbound. Issuing several cards of one vessel's passage through the Soo Locks appears to have been a common practice back during the 1950-60s.

Re: Postcard I.D.

Posted: January 28, 2016, 3:22 pm
by Guest
Possibly the Sir Thomas Shaughnessy while in the Mohawk Navigation fleet? I'm away from my research materials at home, so its just a guess, but it looks like the front of the bow may be painted green along with the name board. In addition the name, although unreadable, appears to take up the whole length of the name board.

Re: Postcard I.D.

Posted: January 28, 2016, 3:00 pm
by E J B
Possibly a CSL Canaller

Re: Postcard I.D.

Posted: January 28, 2016, 2:01 pm
by Guest
It is a old one - really narrow .

Tell me that is a life raft on the port side , main deck and painted gray, ??? If it is, I have never seen one in that position - looks like the pilot house roof is too small .

Re: Postcard I.D.

Posted: January 28, 2016, 11:00 am
by BigRiver
Here's the postcard.

Postcard I.D.

Posted: January 27, 2016, 8:15 pm
by Al Hart
Can anyone identify this freighter? The card has a 1961 date on it.