Minnesota Point Lighthouse
-
Darryl
Re: Minnesota Point Lighthouse
I read somewhere people are interested in restoring the lighthouse. If I find the link to the story, I'll post it.
-
Al
Re: Minnesota Point Lighthouse
Sorry, I should have said that when built, the lighthouse was at the Nemadji River's channel through Minnesota Point. That channel wandered until stabilized.
Re: Minnesota Point Lighthouse
Not only a great hike, but my bike has brought me out there really quickly except when the raspberries make me graze a lot longer. It is truly fun to get out on the point.
I hope the plans of stabilizing the tower go through, I'm always amazed how long that structure has stood.
I hope the plans of stabilizing the tower go through, I'm always amazed how long that structure has stood.
-
Al
Re: Minnesota Point Lighthouse
Hey, Mn Brett,
I made the trek out to the old lighthouse many times during the years I lived in Duluth. When built, the lighthouse was at the mouth of the Nemadji River, which was notorious for wandering back and forth. In a relatively short time, the mouth moved away from the lighthouse and, eventually, the Superior ship canal was built to keep it in one place and usable for navigation. (Alexander McDougall wrote in his autobiography about how as a young mate aboard a passenger boat it was his job to go out in a skiff with a long pole and to probe for the Nemadji River channel so his steamboat could enter the harbor without grounding.)
I don't know what it's like now, but there used to be an old tower for flying storm signals right as you come out of the woods. Farther on is a dilapidated building that used to be a Lighthouse Service storage depot.
Last time I was out there about four years ago I came across a pretty substantial hut that had been built out of driftwood. I know from some friends that some young people had taken to living out there in the summer, so I suppose that has continued.
It's certainly the best hike in Duluth.
I made the trek out to the old lighthouse many times during the years I lived in Duluth. When built, the lighthouse was at the mouth of the Nemadji River, which was notorious for wandering back and forth. In a relatively short time, the mouth moved away from the lighthouse and, eventually, the Superior ship canal was built to keep it in one place and usable for navigation. (Alexander McDougall wrote in his autobiography about how as a young mate aboard a passenger boat it was his job to go out in a skiff with a long pole and to probe for the Nemadji River channel so his steamboat could enter the harbor without grounding.)
I don't know what it's like now, but there used to be an old tower for flying storm signals right as you come out of the woods. Farther on is a dilapidated building that used to be a Lighthouse Service storage depot.
Last time I was out there about four years ago I came across a pretty substantial hut that had been built out of driftwood. I know from some friends that some young people had taken to living out there in the summer, so I suppose that has continued.
It's certainly the best hike in Duluth.
Minnesota Point Lighthouse
I don't know how many Boatnerds have taken a walk to the end of Park Point!,but if You enjoy a long walk and like to explore I would recommend crossing the lift bridge, drive to the end of the road and park buy the airport,I pack some hotdogs and something to drink and aim for the end of the point!,sand dunes,empty buildings,a big black pipe!,I don't know what it's for but it appeared one year,must be a water intake for something?,well there's a abandoned Light House witch is ground zero for all the mapping in the area,it looks like a farm stone silo,it has a failing fence around it,easy to get through,it's very far inland,so I don't know if the island has filled in over the years or it was built in the middle?Sundbom Otterson said the association recently received $5,000 worth of grant money to explore the possibility of restoring the Minnesota Point Lighthouse at the end of Park Point.
I haven't figured it out yet,but there are People back there that don't act right as well,they walk up and ask questions,they will ask you where are You from? We were looking at some empty buildings and another would appear?, from there we walked through the woods to get to the end and a bearded Man came out of the woods with bongo drums?
We've always felt safe,I'm not getting to that,there is just something going on out there I haven't figured out.
when You get to the end than You can see the Superior entry from the opposite side,and get a good view of BN loading docks!
A good time! mn brett